Chapter Seventeen - Part One

Her life was a mess. While being stuck in the cold room, Winter thought about everything that happened since she met Phoenix the day her father died. Not only had her mother hated her, but she went to jail, came to a new city and got herself locked up once again. How could she be so stupid? Father trusted her to take care of Goldenfordge and although she wasn't Queen yet, things definitely weren't working out in her favor.

If she could take any moment to talk to Father again, would he scold her? He certainly wouldn't be proud of her. She took a few steps away from the door, leaning up against the back wall. For all she knew, he wouldn't even be satisfied. Not wanting to dwell in her own thoughts, she shook her head.

There was nothing interesting to look at. All she could find herself staring towards was the four concrete walls and the sharpened black door with a white handle. Slowly, she let her back slide down the wall, the shuffling echoing in her ears. Why wouldn't Phoenix even place a window in the room? Holding her head in her hands, she didn't have to do anything to know she was doomed.

The only thing keeping her company was her thoughts. She could be stuck in here for an eternity. If that did happen, she'd be insane by the time she got out.

No matter how much she tried to stop herself from thinking, her mind kept going back to the last time she saw her mother. Of course it was right before Phoenix took her away. Unbelievable. Winter just had to follow him as if being around Mother was truly worse. Part of her wondered if she was okay, but more importantly, was Summer alright? Was he looking for her? How she even decided to trade her previous life for this one was beyond her. She wanted to go back, but there was nowhere to go. She was stuck.

It had been a few weeks, maybe a month for all she knew, since she last heard murmuring on the other side of the door. Phoenix only came in to check on her a couple times a day, providing her with water and little bits of food. The curious side of her rose up as she made her way over to the black door, pinning her ear up against it in case she could make out any of the words.

"...cursed when she was a child. Yes, it was me. So?" Phoenix's voice was barely audible through the door. She moved closer as if that would help her hearing everything he said. "I doubt she'll ever find out that I put the curse on her. It's not like she has any idea what to look for."

Each time her father told her about the time she was cursed, she never truly believed him. Winter's jaw fell open as she finally processed what Phoenix was talking about. How dare he hide the fact that he, out of everyone she knew, was the one she needed to be afraid of? What was she going to do now? Who knows what he could achieve now that he got her alone.

The same story kept popping into her mind as she searched for any possible clue that she would've missed beforehand, but nothing was different after she heard this news. It was just as Father always said: she drank the apple juice from her cup and fell unconscious shortly afterwards. Not one sign of anyone who could've done this to her. Part of her wondered if Father told her every inch of the story or did he leave pieces out? Winter shook her head. Now was not the time to doubt her father. He would've told her everything if he knew, right?

She turned around, ready to completely give up and never make her way out of this room, but then Phoenix mumbled once again. "The King of Goldenfordge? Oh yeah, about that. Didn't you hear he's dead? By my hand, of course. I poisoned him."

"