Chapter Five

Patrick

I left my number on the back of the napkin. I don't know why I did, but I did. Now I really don't know why I did, or why I'm sitting here by this phone like a complete idiot when I could be hanging out with friends. I want to be here if she calls because if she does call, I just want to talk to her and get to know her more. She's different. Ella is not like anyone else I've ever met before but in a good way. Maybe it was the way I felt so at ease around her the other day, you know? It was almost like I could tell her anything. Maybe it's the way she doesn't realize how pretty she honestly is that's got me interested. She's so shy in front of me when she has no reason to be.

There's a knock to the entryway of my bedroom, and when I turn my head I see my mom leaning against the frame, pushing a couple of strands of hair away from her face. "What are you doing home?" She asks. "Didn't you tell me a couple of days ago that you were going to play basketball with Drew?"

I don't want to tell her about Ella yet because as of now there's nothing to tell. For all I know she could have just ignored my number earlier and it will have been all for nothing. "Uh, nah." I shrug as if it's just a typical night. "I decided to stay in tonight. I'm not really feeling that good."

She can tell that something is up because she gives me a small smile and just rolls her eyes at me. "Alright..." She trails off. "If you say so. Sweet dreams."

"Night mom."

As soon as the door to my room closes, the cell phone on top of my chest starts to buzz. Since it's nine at night on a Monday, I can almost guarantee that it's her. "You saw," I noted, not even bothering to say hello when I answer. "I was hoping you would."

"Hey. Um, why did you give me your number?" She asks. I can't see her, but I think I can hear her smile through the phone, which makes me smile too.

"Because I wanted to talk to you." I reply. "Is that okay?"

"I know you did." She sighs. "I'm asking why though?"

She's repeated that word I think five times since I've been around her and I don't understand it. It's almost as if she thinks she's the ugliest girl in the world, but to me, she's so beautiful. I don't even know her that well, but what I do know is that I'm attracted to her. After that night on the beach when I saw her walk away like that, seeming so strong and confident, I immediately knew that I wanted to get to know her more.

"Why what?" I finally reply, grabbing a rubber band ball off my nightstand. I begin to toss it up into the air, continuing to stare at the ceiling.

"Why did you leave your number?" She replies shakily.

"Why do you think I did?"

Her breathing is what I hear through the phone, nothing but that breaking the awkward silence between us. I wish I could think of something else to change the topic of conversation, but unfortunately, all I can think about is this stupid rubber band ball in my hand.

"Do you want me to be honest?" She whispers.

"No," I joke. "I want you to lie. Yes, Ella. Be honest."

"Okay..." She trails off. "Well, I think you feel sorry for me."

Not even close. She is not even close as to why I left my number down on that napkin. I flipped it over on its front just so that she could see the number sticking out on top. Does she seriously think I would leave my number like that if I felt sorry for her? How can she not tell that I'm flirting with her?