Chapter 12: Suspicious

I looked at her, she was staring at her dead council members. Personally I did not blame her for it, I closed my eyes not even wanting to look over at them. I felt sick, just seeing so many dead, there was a difference between seeing a dead being dead and a person being dead.
Shannon lifted her head up and looked at us, this time she looked a bit annoyed, none of us had moved her said a thing to her since she had asked us to leave her alone. I did not blame her, my senses were coming back to the present and all that was going on around me.
"Please... Go now, I want to be by myself for this..." She said to us. She was trying to keep her calm, I could tell that she was not blaming us. She was blaming the people who had done this in the first place. She was blaming my sister... I wanted so badly to believe that it could not be true. I felt sick...
Christian looked at all of us and then he nodded to make sure that we were ready for whatever it was that we were going to do next. I looked back at him and nodded, Aidan did as well, and so did Jordan, but he took much longer than the rest of us.
"Lets go guys... We will leave her be, we need to close the doors in the community to make sure no one else gets in. Me and Aidan will do that, you 2 go do whatever it is that you are trying to do." Christian said to us. I looked over at him and then nodded thankfully to him.
Then after a few more moments of silence, we then began to split up, Christian went the other way that we came from while Aidan did the exact opposite. I hoped that at the same time they closed the gates they killed as many of the dead as possible.
I still was not sure if it was true what Shannon had said that half of the community was still alive. I had not seen a single soul walking around the community... Besides the dead, but those did not really count as a soul really.
I saw Jordan walk off to wherever it was that he was going. I knew that he was going to look for his dad, I just hope he had some sort of sense to not go after the other community to go find his mom, there was no way 1 man could kill 20,000 others...
1 vs 1 to me was hard enough, I did not even want to think about it being more than that. I remembered wrestling Jordan when I was younger, he would always win. I will admit that he was stronger than me, but it is a lot different when there is more than one.
I looked at the ground for a few more moments, Shannon coughed I looked at her, she was staring right at me. I remembered why, she was waiting for me to leave so she could get on with what it was that she was about to do to her council.
I looked at her and then I nodded, then I began walking to I wasn't sure where. Lilly's place was the opposite direction, but I did not want to catch up to Aidan while he was closing down the gates, the less noise, the better. It was something that Christian had told me, and he was right in every way.
I looked over to Shannon, she was about 100 feet away. I watched what it was that she was doing, I kind of felt bad about spying on her like that, but if no one knew about it, then it would not hurt anyone.
She was busy laying on one of the ladies, I did not know the lady. But based off of the look on Shannon's face I could tell that it must have been a close friend of hers, I could tell that she was in quite a lot of pain right now.
I then watched as she pulled out a knife and then she stabbed the lady in the skull. I looked away right after that part, I cursed myself for that. I did not want to see her doing that to one of her close friends. No matter how much I did not like Shannon.
I wanted to say this was Shannon's fault, it was not my sisters... But every time I put in a possibilty I thought in my mind that it was not possible for Shannon to be the one that betrayed us. It only seemed to make since that it was Angela...
All the pieces were pointing directly at it. Why would Shannon let someone just come in and destroy all that she had built and all of her council that she clearly had high regards for. I closed my eyes, and then I kept on walking in the direction that I was going.
I did not want to turn around and go after to Lilly's place right now, it would make it seem like I was watching Shannon. Which to be fair in some sort of degree, I kind of just was watching her. The pain that she was in that she had to kill one of her friends.
I could see the pain in her heart, I was pretty good at reading people's emotions. Besides my sister, she often did not seem to have very much emotion now that I was beginning to think about it. I shook my head and then kept on walking, even though there was nothing for me this way.
If I was to be completely honest with myself, switching my direction because of Shannon was not the only reason that I decided to not go to Lilly's quite yet. I did not want to find Lilly's dead body sitting on the ground.
Shannon said they had killed half of the people, it would only make since that they would choose Lilly as one of those people, she was old and there was not much point in having her around. Shannon had said they told her that they were "doing her a favor".
I shivered and then kept on walking, I tried my best to hide those sort of thoughts from going into my head. I remembered what Shannon had said, Liam was smart. He would find somewhere to hide, Lilly would help him, she knew what might have been coming soon.
But then I thought of the possibility that Liam was in the daycare. What if they had heard the shots and they had made all the kids hide in there, eventually they would have found them and got in, hell... The place literally looked like it was made for kids.
To be fair, the place was made for kids, the builders had made the place after the fall of the world had happened, it was a place for kids to stay when their family was out and could not take care of them, there were 3 of them all around the community, along with there being a school for kids to learn.
I remember doing a few classes at the school, it never made sense to me as to why we were doing that, it was not going to help us that much. Math? Science? I failed to see how that was much of a use in this world.
We should have done school to learn how to make it out of the walls, in case some sort of event happened, like the one that had happened today. I closed my eyes for a few moments and then I stopped myself, I then shook my head.
After a few moments of sitting completely still, I managed to clear those thoughts from my mind, but that was not the reason to it. I had my eyes closed and I felt something grab on to me, I opened my eyes and then I realized that it was a dead.
I should have been paying attention, I knew there were dead all around us this whole time. The dead man threw me down onto the ground, he was so much stronger than me, there was nothing that I could do to stop myself, there was no way I could get out of this situation.
I tried grabbing on to my knife that was on my belt, but in order to do that I would have to take my right hand off of the dead. If I did that he would fall right on top of me and would tear my face apart. I did not know what to do, there was no way out of this.
I did my best to hold him off for as long as possible, but the dead had unlimited endurance, there was nothing I could do as my arms began to grow weak and the dead man slowly began getting closer and closer to me, his face was less than a foot away from me now.
I did not know what to do, was this the end for me? This seemed like a very boring way to die, I would have hoped that the day I died it would have been for at least some sort of use. But now I was going to die because I was stupid and was standing still on a street full of the dead, with my eyes closed none the less.
I managed to get something out of my mouth, even though my body felt so weak, at some point, within the next few moments, my body was going to give in, and that would be the end for me.
"Someone, please help!" I yelled. A waited a few more moments, and then I tried yelling again. I had some sort of hope that maybe Aidan had heard me and he would come to my rescue, but I had been sitting there for so long that he was way ahead of me at this point.
I am sure that if half of the community was still alive, someone should have surely heard me. But even if they did, why would they come out and help me? I was not in the best section for the community, this was more of an area for older people or more lazy people.
After a few moments, I was about to give in, and just give up. But then, suddenly a thought flew into my mind. Maybe there was some way out of this, maybe let him eat off my hand and just chop off my hand...
I shook my head on that one, but that idea sprung me into another much better idea. I tried my best to push him back a little bit, but that worked to no avail. I then pushed the side of my arm right against his mouth. I was wearing a long shirt.
This was the only way out, I just had to hope that he did not catch a bite of my skin. I felt him biting into my shirt a little bit, and then I felt a sharp little sting of pain, but it was enough to at least get him off of me because he was too busy trying to bite into my arm.
This time I turned, while shoving him off of me at the same time, I then pulled out my gun instead of my knife, he was still on me a little bit and was getting closer, but it had at least bought me enough time to get something out.
I gun was not what I liked to use first, but in this situation, I did not have much of a choice. I aimed close to his face and then shot, more than one shot, luckily I had a silencer in and we were in an open area so it was not loud at all.
The first 2 shots were kind of a miss, one landed at the top part of his chest, then the second one went into his neck, but that was not going to cut it, the dead felt no pain, and the dead... They were already dead, so the only way to kill them was to the head.
The 3rd shot this time cracked right into his skull, and I watched as he fell on top of me in a good bit of pain, he was a bit of a bigger guy. But he was dead for sure now, I looked around to make sure that none of the dead had heard that all go down and were running at me.
Luckily there were not all that many around me, besides maybe 1 or 2 within 100 feet, but other than that we were good. I slowly began picking myself off of the dead guy. After a few moments I managed to sneak out of where I was at.
I looked around, I saw someone sneaking a peak at me through their window to see what was going on, but as soon as they saw that I noticed them they moved away from there. I shook my head, the guy was not that old, but he was too afraid to come out here and help me.
Instead he would rather just watch me die slowly being torn apart. I guess he was not smart enough to realize that he could have just ran out and I tackled him and I would have easily finished off the job.
But I guess I was a bit smaller, he probably thought that I was a normal person just like him and he probably did not realize that I had a gun on me. I then also realized, they had just been attacked, they probably did not know if I was one of the people who had attacked them.
I closed my eyes for a few moments and then shook it off, I instantly reopened them realized that I was doing the exact same thing that had gotten me into that situation once again. I shook it off and began walking.
I was not sure where exactly it was that I was walking to, I was still to afraid to go to the daycare, or to go to Lilly's to check and see if they were okay. Maybe I could catch up with Aidan and walk the little loop with him around the community, then I could ask Christian to come with me over to Lilly's.
I knew that he might not like that, Lilly had a huge crush on him, even though she was at least 20 years older than him, but it was not the first old lady that had a crush on him, I am sure that he would help me on this, he knew how important it was to me.
I kept on walking, going at a bit of a faster pace, but then I slowed myself as I remembered that I had been bitten, or at least somewhat of a bite, I needed to make sure that I was going to be okay, and it would not turn me into one of the dead.
I pulled my sleeves back and looked right at where I had been bitten at, there was a bit of a small hole on the shirt, but I looked at the spot on my arm very closely.
I did not see any blood on it, but there was obviously a bruise that was beginning to grow, I would have to ask Christian about that, I did not want to have my arm cut off, but if that was the only way that I was going to live, I did not have much of a choice.
I kept on walking, I went right past Sasha's house. I looked at it a bit sadly for a few moments, me and her were becoming close, it hurt me when she suddenly began to ignore me, and she would hide from me. She hid on the other side of the daycare one of the days I picked up Liam.
It hurt me a bit, Angela told me to get used to it, she told me a lot of woman were like that, they would just use you for a little bit of fun and then they would throw you away as soon as they were done. I thought of Sasha as someone different than that even know I knew what Angela had said was true.
I closed my eyes, it was not the size of my penis right? I had a decent sized one I would have thought... It was after that she began to ignore me... Maybe I was just not very good at having sex...
I shook my head and then I kept on walking, I then noticed something that I had not seen in a long time, it took my back to an even more darker time than the one that I was in right now. I saw the shed, the one that I had been stuck in for days when the original attack of the dead had happened on the community.
That was the last time that I ever got to see my mother and my step father. I felt sick looking at it, I wanted to look away and pretend that I had not seen it, but I kept on looking at it for some odd reason. I then began walking towards it, it was not open so I knew that one of the dead was not in there.
Once I was close to it, I looked at it deeply. I kind of wanted to open it, to take me back to the last time that I had ever gotten to see my mother. I sighed a little bit, and then I went to the little door knob and I opened the door to the shed.
Well, at least I tried... For some reason, the door was locked, but it was locked from the inside. I looked at it a bit confused... Surely someone had not been as stupid as to lock the opening of the door...
I then heard a footstep, it was a footstep of a living person, but clearly they were trying to hide from something, well the something I already knew what is was... Clearly they had the same idea that my mother had when she had locked my into it years ago.
"I know someone is in there... Open it up, I am not one of the other community, no scars, I am good..." I said to whoever it was the was in there. It was silent for a few moments, clearly the person was not trusting me, and could I really blame them?
We had just been attacked, they probably did not recognize my voice, and they probably did not trust anyone right now, there was a good reason behind that I suppose. After a few more moments I heard the person speak from the inside. I recognized the voice from inside...
"Ben? Is that you? You sure that no one else is with you?" Andrew said to me. He sounded as if he did not trust me, I was not too sure as to why that might be so but I said yes to him to make him feel a little bit better.
He then opened the door, he looked around me to make sure that I was alone, and then he nodded to me to come in and as soon as I did so he closed the door once again and then he locked it.
The room was a bit dark, but there was a bit of some lighting through the roof, at least what was left, I knew it was beginning to get dark outside. I looked at Andrew and then nodded to him, I was doing my best to make sure that he could trust me.
I then looked over at the small little bench that was at the end of the shed, I could see someone laying on it, clearly they were asleep, which did not make much since to me as to why that was so, how could you sleep when you knew all that was going on around outside.
Well maybe, they did not know exactly what it was that was going on out there, but still, it did not make sense as to why they might be asleep. I looked closer and then I recognized the face to be the face of Angela's friend Tyler.
"What's going on with Tyler? How can he be sleeping right now?" I asked Andrew. He looked at me for a few moments and then he managed to crack at a grin, as he responded to what I asked with a bit of a laugh added into his voice.
"Well... Angela was with Shannon and all of them, I could see that Tyler was about to go over there and do something, I had to knock him out to save his life... They probably would have killed him." Andrew said to me. I looked at him for a few moments and then I thankfully nodded to him.
If he had seen Angela with them, then that meant that Shannon was not lying about what she had said, it made me feel a bit sick and I sat down at the other bench on the other side of the shed. I heard Tyler snore and I wanted to laugh, but I could not bring myself to it.
"So, Shannon was not lying? Angela really did betray us huh? I would have never have thought of that from my sister..." I said to him. He looked at me for a few moments, and then he looked away, he was clearly trying to think deeply into what I had just said.
After a few moments of pure silence, I looked at Tyler, I was glad that he was okay, but when he heard the news about Angela betraying us, I knew that it would break his heart, much like it had done to mine.
"Well... I don't know... Angela was being held down, but who really knows, I can not rule that out of the question... But it would not make since as to why Angela or Shannon would betray us." Andrew said back to me. I looked at him for a few moments.
I heard what he had said, Shannon had not said anything about that. I felt a bit sick now, there was so much going on, and it was confusing me greatly, I shook my head and then looked at him before I responded to him.
"Well... Angela brought in people, the same people that randomly were at the other groups place... The let out one of the people that attacked us... But if you ask me, it all seems very suspicious..."