25 - Tuttugu og Fimm

"You're throwing me out? For her? I raised you Valente! I raised you as my own!" Sylvia screamed.

Valente almost scoffed.

"All this time, I thought you did everything you did, for me. For my sake, but you've made me realize that's not true.

You raised me for you. I was only Sven's replacement all these years, the only thing that made you feel less alone. And now that I've found my mate, you're so threatened by her that you can't even stand her!" Valente said. I'd never heard his voice so loud.

"That's not true. I hated her even before you chose her," Sylvia said, her voice a whisper. "You could have chosen anyone, but her."

She said that as if it would make her look better, but Valente's fingers were twitching again.

I never thought anybody could hate me, but Sylvia did. She always had.

"Why?" Valente asked her, irritated. "Why Aunty? Because she-"

"They came here looking for her. They wanted a child. A child that would be different. They didn't know the age, only that they wouldn't be from around here, and she," Sylvia pointed at me. "She was the only one who wasn't from our pack and was hidden away in the forest where Rosa found her.

I've known since that day she was the reason they came looking. No one else knows this, and nobody wants to believe it because there's no proof and there's still no proof! But I've known since the beginning," Sylvia said, her tears falling freely now, her eyes bloodshot.

"So what if she is? So what if they were looking for her? Even if they were, how is it her fault! What did she ever do? What did she ever do to you?" Valente asked, his patience was wearing thin.

"She is cursed. By a witch, or by some dark power I don't know what it is, but she isn't good for us. She isn't good for you Valente," she said to him, pleading.

She was possessed by the idea that I was the harbinger of bad news. And I knew now that nothing could possibly change her mind.

"I am announcing her my Luna tomorrow. You will accept her as my mate whether you like it or not. I don't want you, or anything that belongs to you in my home when I bring her after the ceremony," Valente said.

"Fine," Sylvia replied, wiping away her tears angrily. "But when she-"

"Leave. Now," he said, his tone with a sense of finality.

She left through the door she came from, leaving it open behind her.

I saw boxes of food placed right outside.

"I mindlinked the head cook to leave the food there," Valente said as he walked outside and carried the boxes in, putting them on the kitchen counter.

Everyone stood in silence, absorbing everything that had just happened.

A few minutes had passed before Otto spoke.

"We should eat," he said. His usually happy nature was quite grim.

I looked at Renee who was still a little shaken up by the whole ordeal.

She said to Sylvia all the things that I should have said, and I was thankful she was there to say them.

"The kids?" I asked her.

"They'll come downstairs on their own. Let them be for now," she said, setting up the food on the plates as Otto helped her.

Valente just walked out of the kitchen, standing at the living room window as he pinched his nose in frustration.