Condolences

Halic sat patiently waiting on the front steps of Sarah and Nathaniel Gagnon's house. He rubbed his hands together anxiously, he hated this part of the alpha role and he'd never get used to these kinds of house calls. This was a particularly hard one to make, Isaac was so young and he was the Gagnon's only child. This was going to crush his parents.

A light breeze ruffled his golden hair and he caught onto Mavis's scent. He turned his head in her direction, finding her and Ivan heading up the path towards him. He'd seen her countless time by now, but in moments like this she became even more enthralling to him. The way the sun caught her fluttering hair, the hint of red across her cheeks from the cold, the way her hips moved as she walked through the snow. His breathing became more erratic. The continuous puffs of milky steam in front of his face coming out more rapid and increasing in volume.

Halic got to his feet once they had reached him, and he immediately sensed some tension between them. Mavis also wouldn't look at either of them.

"What happened?" Halic asked Ivan through their private link.

"We had a disagreement." He said outloud, casting his gaze at Mavis, but she still refused to look at him.

"Let's get this over with." She headed up the steps first.

Halic frowned, noticing Ivan's navy blue jacket around her shoulders. Ivan knocked twice on the door and a few seconds later Nathaniel answered. The fourty-eight year old man's caterpillar brows drew into eachother, as he stared at them confused.

"Alpha Halic, Alpha Ivan, Luna." He nodded his head to show his respect. "What can I do for you?"

"Nathaniel," Ivan adjusted his tone. "May we come in?"

"Of course." Nathaniel moved to the side and allowed them into his home. "Sarah!" He called as he shut the door.

In a matter of minutes she came around the corner and paused when she saw the three of them. "What's going on?"

Halic watched Ivan shove his hands into his jean pockets nervously. "I'm afraid we have some bad news." He met their gaze. "There was an attack this morning. And... your son, Isaac, didn't make it."

All of the color drained from Sarah's face. She began to shriek. Once at first, sharp and short. Then continuely. "No!" She cried as her heart broke. "NO!!! IT CAN'T BE! NOT MY BABY!"

Nathaniel reached for his wife, wrapping his arms around her shaking body. He turned his attention back to Ivan. "Was it a rogue?"

Ivan didn't answer him, to Halic's surprise he glanced at Mavis. Her eyes met his and Halic could see her visibly swallow.

"I'm not really sure what killed your son," she paused. "But I am sure it wasn't a werewolf."

Nathaniel's eye widened mirroring Halic's expression. This was news to him as well. By the grim look on Ivan's face Halic knew this was something he should be extremely worried about.

Nathaniel's arms tightened around his wife as she began to cry hard, his own agony was starting to take over. This proud man, who never showed his emotions was crumbling before them. He let out a sob that hurt Halic's soul. He was grateful to Ivan for taking the lead on this one.

Halic touched Mavis's arm, gaining her attention. He tried to pull her towards the front door, but she pulled her arm out of his grasp. She sighed loudly, turning towards the Gagnon's. "Nothing could ever make this right, but I can promise you this."

Everyone in the room turned to look at her stunned. "I will find what killed your son, and I will kill it."

Goosebumps appeared all over Halic's arms as he realized what she was promising. The hard look on her face told him that she was serious. He hadn't expected this from her. She was obviously still pissed with Ivan, but she was willing to help the pack? She'd been so against anything related to them or the pack, that Halic wasn't sure how to take this new development. Was she changing her mind? In the three in a half months he had known her he hadn't learn much, but what he did know was that she was stubborn. If she gave in on this then maybe there was hope that she would come around to the idea of being their Luna. That made Halic's heart thumb in his chest. The hope that he felt, made his mind race with excitement.