Chapter-3

I woke up the next morning feeling terrible. I felt as though I hadn't slept at all. I remembered the howls from last night and shivered. I probably had imagined that. My brain was not used to this unusual new place and was making me hallucinate. This was my theory.

I went down to the kitchen and poured myself some coffee. Then I went in for a shower. I stayed there for some time in the hot water, enjoying the steam and letting the tension ease out of my shoulders. Walking over to my closet, I selected a blue sweatshirt and jeans and put them on.

The windows rattled as the wind blew hard. Somehow, it was warm in the house and I was grateful for it. I wouldn't have liked to be outside in such weather. Drawing my blanket around me, I sat on the bed, searching for something to do. I didn't want to sit still, for I knew I would have started thinking about my weird visions or whatever they were.

I glanced at the few groceries still lying unpacked at the bottom of my bed. I would have to unpack them and put them away. Sighing, I got up from my warm bed and made my way down to the kitchen again, dragging the groceries with me. The kitchen was less warm than my bedroom and I shivered with a little as the wind made goosebumps erupt all over my arm.

The kitchen was huge with a vast number of cupboards for storing food. It had a huge window over the sink which opened up into the direction of the front door. I opened up the cupboards, looking around warily for any creepy crawlies that might have snuck in. I was pleasantly surprised to find the cupboards clean and dry.

I was rinsing out my glass when I noticed Sabrina coming towards the kitchen window through the yard, waving at me. Grinning, I waved back at her and opened the window. A gust of wind came rushing in, making me regret my decision of opening the window.

"Hey!" she said, handing me a basket full of hot buns and cakes. "My mom sent this."

"That's really kind of her," I said, raising my voice as the wind made an enormous racket.

"Yeah she was all like, the new girl is just skin and bones, you should feed her up. I was like, mom, we should just leave the poor girl alone. But she whacked me on the shoulder and made me come here anyway."

I laughed.

"Don't you want to come inside?" I asked, gesturing to the front door.

She nodded and I closed the window, grateful for the warmth again. Setting down the basket on the kitchen counter, I went to open the door.

Sabrina came in with her blonde hair all over the place. She rubbed her hands together and blew on them.

"Man, the wind is really going for it." she said.

"Is the weather always like this?" I asked, heading over to the living room. It would have been quite cosy if I had draped over rugs and put cushions but as it was, it looked quite bare.

"You should really up your home decor game." she said, biting her lip.

Sighing, I led the way to the kitchen.

"I will decorate it soon. I haven't had the time to do it just yet. My mom picked this house for me and I didn't even see it before moving in. This job offer came up all of a sudden and I had to pack in a rush."

"Really?" said Sabrina, settling down on a chair. "Weird. I don't think this town has many jobs, let alone ones that attract people from big cities." She smiled. "This town could use some development- it's so quaint here. But the founding families don't agree at all."

"Well, what can I offer you? Coffee? I haven't unpacked anything else yet."

"Coffee would be lovely." she said, rubbing her hands together again. "If you want some help unpacking or setting up the house, I could come over again tomorrow."

"Oh no!" I said and she frowned.

"I mean, I would love it if you come, but I couldn't possibly ask you for more help. It wouldn't be right."

"Right?" she scoffed. "In this town, it's a freaking tradition to help newcomers. Don't ask me why. But it is. And I am coming over tomorrow whether you like it or not."

I found myself smiling.

"What?"

"Nothing. It's just that- you're so stubborn." I said, still smiling.

Sabrina looked at me levelly.

"That I am."

"So, made any new friends lately?" she asked, nursing her drink. "Excluding me of course."

"Well, not yet. I haven't explored much yet. I did meet two guys over the weekend- Caleb and Ethan."

"Oooohh." she said, leaning forward, looking excited at this new piece of gossip. "So how did you even meet them?"

"I saw Caleb in the grocery store and Ethan helped me out the night I met you. Do you know them?"

"Know them?" she chortled. "Girl, I grew up here. They are like the most talked about amongst us girls. Caleb is super friendly and Ethan is sort of mysterious, but hot. And that draws girls to him like anything. But he is a little odd, and unlikely to help anyone he knows, much less a newcomer."

"Really?" I thought about the hand I thought I had seen in the back of his car and my heart thudded in my chest. I must have looked terrified because Sabrina laughed at my expression.

"There is no need to look like that. I have known his family forever and I can tell you he is no serial killer."

I relaxed, convinced I had been hallucinating. Sabrina stayed for a little while more and then left to go home. I ate a few rolls from the basket and curled up in my bed again. It had only been two days and I already missed my home and my family in this strange new town of Audersbury.

                               ***

Hey guys! I hope you are liking the story. 😊😊What do you think of Sabrina Watson so far?