Chapter-18

"Seriously?" I scoffed. "You're kidding right?"

He stared at me unblinkingly.

"You are serious?" I asked, feeling shocked.

He nodded.

"Sabrina knows this as well," he said staring at his hands. "Nearly everyone in this town does. And no one likes them."

"People talk to them civilly enough," I said sceptically.

"Because they are afraid of them," he said, putting his hands into his pockets and staring off into the distance. "And when people are afraid, they don't want to displease them."

"But vampires? It's really hard to believe." I said.

"Not in this town," he said, giving me a small smile.

"Anything else I should know?" I enquired, raising my eyebrows.

His smile turned to a full grin.

"Only that I'm a werewolf."

I smiled back in relief. It was clear that he had been pulling my leg and I had almost fallen for it. Almost. There was no way Ethan and his sister could be vampires. But even then, they were dangerous. I suddenly remembered Moro and the fight from the night before when Caleb waved me goodbye and headed down the street. Oh well, I could ask him tomorrow.

But I still needed some answers. Driving home, I went in and switched on my laptop. There had to be some rational explanation for those dreams. I searched for psychological problems at first and spent nearly an entire hour browsing through various sites. Unsurprisingly, I didn't find anything that fit my situation. Some reasons were close enough but they didn't fit entirely. I wondered if I should go see a therapist but somehow felt that it wouldn't help as much. If they had been any other dreams rather than psychic ones, I might have considered it. And I remembered the creepy woman's cryptic warning to not tell anyone.

My phone rang suddenly, startling me out of my thoughts. I picked it up. It was my mom.

"Hey honey, how are you?"

"I'm fine," I said, twirling a lock of hair around my finger nervously. My mom was too observant- she could easily tell when I was lying to her. Thankfully, she seemed too excited about something else to notice anything was off.

"So, we are having a small party back home and was wondering whether you could make it. It's two days away but I told you now so you can clear up your schedule. I know how hectic having a job can feel. Oh, and I'm baking a cake- the vanilla sponge, you're favourite. I know you wouldn't want to miss that. Your dad has already booked a place..."

"What's the special occasion?" I asked, interrupting her.

"You forgot? It's our anniversary," she said sounding offended. "Oh dear, I almost forgot- invite any new friends over you'd like. I have already called all of your old friends..."

"Mom," I said interrupting her again. "I can't come."

"Why not?" she asked sounding hurt. "Is this about your boss? I'm sure she will understand..."

I hated to disappoint her but it wasn't like I had any other choice.

"It's kind of, um, because..." I stammered trying to think of some excuse on the spot.

"Adriana." my mom said sternly. "Be honest with me."

I winced and then sighed. It was no use. I could fool anyone but I couldn't fool my mom.

"The police has um, forbidden me from leaving the town right now..."

"The police?" she yelled. I held the phone away from my ear. "Adriana, what are you involved in, tell me honestly."

"Nothing," I said untruthfully. "A girl named Sharon was murdered along with another man and the police are trying to find who did it. They have asked all people concerned not to leave so as not to lose any leads, I guess."

"Yes, I know, but how did you even get mixed up in all this?"

"I went to this party at her house the other day, that's all."

"Oh honey, I wish you could come back. These murders are so dreadful really, I..."

The phone dinged and I saw a call from Sabrina coming through. Even though I didn't particularly want to talk to her after she had lied to me about the zombie myths, I didn't want to listen to my mom getting all concerned. It would make me want to leave and that couldn't happen. I knew taking special permission from the police might help but that would look suspicious and Gerelda suspected me anyway. I could do without all those extra problems in my life.

"Mom, I have to go, I've got another call coming through."

"Be careful, and don't..."

"Yeah, yeah," I said interrupting her again. "I'll call you later."

Pressing the answer button, I took Sabrina's call.

"Hello?" I said tightly. I knew she had been a great friend to me but I just couldn't trust her after she had told me that fib about Ethan's family. I knew it was stupid, but I didn't feel like trusting her again.

"Adriana!" she exclaimed. "I need to talk to you. It's urgent."

"So, what is it?" I asked, feeling surprised. I had seen her this morning only. What could have happened since then?

"Not here. I need to tell you in person. Can we meet tomorrow? At nine?"

"I have to work..."

"Please? For me. See you at Barry's inn. Be there."

She abruptly hung up. I bit my lip. All of this was a little weird but it wasn't out Sabrina's character. She loved making a big deal out of everything. Calling in at work, I told them I would be late tomorrow.

Sighing, I returned to browsing the web. After several more futile attempts, I closed my laptop and leaned back in my chair with a sigh. The creepy woman's words were stuck in my head.

'Don't tell anyone. They will want to use your magic-' Magic! That was it. Grabbing my purse from the chair I ran to my car. Driving at top speed, I made my way to the local library.

                         ***
Hey guys! How are you liking the story so far? Do comment your thoughts and vote if you like it!!❤❤