Chapter Twenty-Six

Doctor Ealing helped James to strap the Christmas tree to the back of the carriage, using a rope to make sure it was secure. The wrapped the rope around the tree and tied it to the small hoops attached to the side. Usually, it would be used to secure luggage on the back of the carriage to make sure it didn't fall off; I doubt they had ever used it for a Christmas tree. Robert directed them and made sure the rope was tight enough whilst Esther lingered just out of the corner of my eye. She refused to maintain eye contact with me and wouldn't look at me if she could help it.

I hadn't spoken to her since the dinner at the Ealing's but that felt like a lifetime ago. I wanted to clear the air with her and give her the opportunity to say whatever she wanted towards me and air out any frustration. If she continued ignoring me, I had my doubts that opportunity would arise at all especially as she didn't appear to be out with the Ealing's all that often. Although it had been a while since they had come into the shop anyway. I just needed a little while to talk.

"I think that should do it. Fingers crossed it won't fall off," James said, cleaning the pine needles off his hand.

"If we're careful, it should be fine. It's not that long of a drive so I expect it will stay in place. Robert tied the ropes rather tight as well."

"I hope so. The last thing I want to do is lose this half-way home."

"Shall we get going? It may be a bit of a squeeze. The carriage usually only holds four people."

"We can make it work; Rosie's small enough to sit next to us."

"I'm not that small!" I tried to protest, but I didn't really have a defence.

"Yes, you are."

He gave me a light tap on the back and I climbed into the open carriage, shuffling to the far corner so that Kitty and James can slide in beside me. Although I hated to admit it and I never would again, he had been right. Whilst Doctor Ealing, Robert and Esther looked somewhat uncomfortable on the other side of the carriage, we were almost comfortable because I was small enough to squeeze into the furthest corner of the carriage. James gave me a knowing look as the carriage pulled off.

I had always been a little on the small side, but all those years at the factory had stunted my growth considerably and although I definitely wasn't the same height I had been when I was seven, I was still shorter than average. Sometimes it came in handy as it meant I could fit into the smaller spaces at the shop or when I was cleaning for the Ealing's. Other times it became a pain because it meant in large crowds I was rather hard to find and there had been two separate occasions where James had misplaced me in a crowd.

The carriage ride to the house was silent and I spent most of it staring out the window and trying to come up with ways to approach Esther. I missed being her friend and talking to her about anything, I wanted to go back to that if she would let me. All I had to do was find a way to talk to her, but that opportunity didn't look as though it would happen any time soon. She wouldn't even look at me so the prospect of her talking to me became slimmer and slimmer the further through London we travelled until we eventually arrived home.

Everyone climbed out of the carriage before me and by the time I had jumped out of the door, one of the ropes had already been taken off the tree. When all of the ropes had been untied and the tree removed from the back of the carriage, Doctor Ealing and Robert helped James to carry it inside. I trailed behind with Esther as Kitty had gone first to open the front door. I didn't say anything to her, but I wanted to. I wanted to explain myself more than anything, but I wouldn't have the time.

I followed the others into the house and to the living room where Christopher looked like he hadn't moved since we left. He had gained a book, but the blanket was still pulled up to his chin and the book was slowly dropping out of his hand and onto the floor. He looked to be asleep. I exchanged a glance to James and slowly crept into the room and past the tree which had been leant against the wall. The glass of water was still half full, so I dunked my hand into it and flicked the water onto Christopher. He didn't react at first so I collected a little more water and made sure to get him directly on the face. Christopher sat up and looked around widely.

The Apprentice Girl // Book 3 in the Rosie Grey seriesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara