6: Visitors

Isaac gives me a strange look, cocking his head to one side like a puppy.

"Well, this is weird," Farrah says, looking between the two of us. I shoot him a glare.

"Sorry! I'm being rude," Isaac blurts out, jumping like he's coming out of a daze. "It's nice to meet you, Jaelyn. It's good to finally get a partner. Awfully lonely around here during the day." He reaches a huge hand out towards me, and I take it.

Dad always told me that you can judge a person's worth by the quality of their handshake. Based on that, I guess Isaac is strong... and incredibly smooth. Decades of climbing ladders, shuffling Uno cards, and moving checkers pieces caused Howard's hands to be coarse. Isaac doesn't look like he's actually worked a day in his life.

Which is entirely possible. The night guards always joke about how lazy day shift is. The infected can't come out in the daylight. So, day guards don't do any actual protecting.

Isaac is a toll booth operator.

"Jaelyn? Hello?"

Farrah's voice shakes me out of my thoughts. I blink, realizing I've been staring at Isaac's hand, still holding them between my own tiny ones. My cheeks light themselves on fire as I jerk away and avert my eyes.

"Sorry. I'm so sorry," I stammer awkwardly. "It's been a long day. Um, yeah, it's nice to meet you too."

There's an incredibly long stretch of silence. Finally, Farrah claps and Isaac jumps almost half a foot in the air.

"Well, I actually have work to do. So, I'll let you two go be awkward without me." Farrah smirks at both of us. "Be good, Muney. I'd really hate to see something happen to you."

If I had to make a list of all the people I want to die, Farrah would top it. I wish I could punch him in the face. I cannot stand the way he walks or talks or breathes. Everything about him makes me want to throw myself over The Wall just so I never have to see him again.

As he waves at us, heading back towards the North Gate, I grit my teeth so hard it makes my jaw ache.

"What a terrible nickname," Isaac says under his breath, turning to the ladder. I watch him in shock. "Why does he call you that?"

"You're joking, right?"

Isaac stops halfway up and looks down at me.

"Dead serious. What warrants such a terrible name?"

I follow him up the ladder and stand behind him, breathless.

"You have no idea who I am?"

Isaac laughs and rearranges the space.

There's no game boards. No pile of soda cans. No Uno cards. All I see is a camping chair, an overturned bucket, a sketchbook, and a pile of dirty white cloths.

"Why should I know you?" He sits down on top of the bucket and nudges the chair towards me. "Take the chair. I'll bring another up tomorrow." After I sit down, he asks, "Now, who are you?"

"I'm Jacob Price's daughter." Is he being serious right now? Does this guy live under a rock?

"I know that name. He works at the infirmary, right?"

"Yeah, he's head of the medical department."

Isaac hums in acknowledgement.

"Impressive. Still doesn't explain that awful nickname."

"I'm the girl who's immune from the virus."

His eyes go wide, and he sits up in shock.

"Really? How?"