Chapter Four: The Artist

A/N: Media is how I imagine Scarlett to look, minus wings/horns though!

'Scarlett,' I called falteringly. Scarlett merely glanced back, and smiled. She strode ahead of me as she led me out of the cells, and into the main building. It was decorated beautifully but simply, with lots of light and blue and silver ornaments around the halls. Had I not been getting so many stares, I would have been able to appreciate it better; however, the guards were looking at me as if I'd just risen from the dead.

Can Angels do that? A part of me wondered. We passed two guards by the entrance, dressed in a wonderful sapphire military uniform, with navy trousers and long, knee length boots. They carried knives at their belts and bows and arrows on their backs. As we neared them, they bowed low, extending gloved hands; I saw their small, folded wings as they bent forward. I was surprised; their wings were a faint red.

I glimpsed their faces; the closest one, brown-haired and with a long, thin face and hundreds of freckles, was instantly familiar.

'You pulled me out of the water,' I said, without thinking. It came out accusatory, and I turned pink. The two looked terrified to be spoken to. The furthest angel glanced in horror at the freckled angel, as if to ask what to do. The freckled angel threw his head down into a bow, and the second angel copied.

'We're very sorry my lady,' the two guards said in unison, bowing even further. Not what I had expected.

'We thought you were an intruder,' the freckled one continued, 'We put you in the cells. It was a terrible mistake.'

'You were wingless,' said the other one, a younger boy; he looked similar to the first angel. His brother, I guessed. I watched, bemused, as the first angel elbowed the younger one.

'Please excuse his rudeness, my lady,' the first angel said. 'What he means is that we didn't know if you were a threat to our lord. We didn't realise who you were.'

'The cells were very uncomfortable...' I said, folding my arms. 'And very cold. I was very lucky that my sister knew to find me...'

The youngest shuddered.

'We were shocked to find that you looked so much like Lady Scarlett,' the freckled angel said hurriedly. 'We told her right away about the wingless angel falling from the sky. She went straight to you.'

'Is that right,' I said, and Scarlett nodded nervously. 'Well, I suppose I have to thank you twice now. Thank you for saving me from drowning, and thank you for reuniting me with my sister. In return, please don't bow. I think it makes all of us uncomfortable.'

Both angels stood back upright, looking astounded, and relieved. Inwardly, I breathed outwards; an interaction that hadn't wounded anybody.

'There was an angel that brought me here,' I said to the guards. 'Her name is Arianna. Can you find her for me? We were being followed. I'd like to know if she's okay.'

The guards were more than happy to oblige. Scarlett beckoned me to follow her. As I turned to follow her, I added, 'Oh, and my name is Lumina. I'm nobody's lady.'

I could have sworn I saw the freckled angel grinning as he resumed his post.

Scarlett walked by my side as we ascended up a spiral staircase.

'You've changed,' she remarked. 'The old Lumina was never authoritative. She was sweet and kind, but certainly not a tease.'

I glanced at her, certain she had to be pretending. 'Me?' I repeated. 'Sweet? Kind? I am none of those things.'