Twenty-Eight

"How was your one-week checkup?" Emori laces her arm through mine as she takes a seat at the counter beside me

"How was your one-week checkup?" Emori laces her arm through mine as she takes a seat at the counter beside me. I can see her a little better now, although it isn't much more than a blurry colored silhouette and a few outlined facial features if I get close enough.

Waiting on my sight to get better is the most nerve-wracking thing in my life since the accident. My eyes are still a little puffy and red, which my doctor says is to be expected, but it's annoying. I can't leave home. I can't walk outside for more than a minute or so before my eyes hurt from the sun. I know it will take a while, but everything is getting hard to deal with.

"It was fine." I peck her on the forehead, smiling at the startled squeak my show of affection elicits. "The specialist just left not too long ago. Told me I'm healing beautifully."

The specialist seemed surprised when she examined my eyes. My pupils are almost fully responsive, and my sight is already better than most trial participants. She has hope that I will have full sight again within six weeks.

"That's amazing!" I can hear the excitement in her voice, and I can't wait until I can see her bright smile again. "Jackson and the guys were supposed to be here already. I wonder what's taking them so long."

I shrug while shoveling another spoonful of peanut butter pie into my mouth. "I'm sure they'll be here soon."

She smacks my arm. "Don't talk with food in your mouth."

I take another bite, grinning with my mouth full. "What, do you mean like this?"

She laughs, pushing me to the side. "You're so nasty."

"You love it."

She chuckles and stands up as someone knocks on the door.

"Hey-Hey!" Jackson sweeps into the house, throwing his arms in the air. Four figures follow behind him. Travis, Parker, Julian, and... The last one is new.

"Darcie!" Emori's voice raises an octave. "What're you doing here?"

"Well, Parker and I are going out, and Tay is his friend, so I figured, why not?" She comes around the counter to stand beside me, patting my head. "And we're sorta friends. Isn't that right, Tay-Tay?"

I swat her hand like a fly, shifting away with a smile. "Pfft. You wish." I stuff the last bite of pie in my mouth. "And don't call me Tay-Tay. I'm not fucking Taylor Swift."

"You're right. You could be fucking Emori, though."

Emori squeaks, and I throw a dog toy at Darcie. "Excuse the heck outta you, you nasty," Emori cries.

"How did you manage to make that sexual?" I scoff and rinse off my plate. I snatch back the toy and toss it to the side. If I thought the guys were bad, the stuff that comes out of Darcie's mouth is next-level shit. The guys wouldn't have thought of that before she said anything, but they still snicker, and I give the closest one a glare.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't been thinking of me and Emori like that. But Emori is the most innocent person in existence. She rarely swears at anyone. Her clothes were always modest before, and I'm sure they haven't changed now. She probably doesn't think about me and her in that way yet. And I sure as hell am not going to rush her either.

"Yeah, yeah, I hear you." Darcie waves her hand and moves to stand beside Parker. "Sorry, Em."

Emori grumbles and plops down on the barstool next to me. Even without seeing her face, it's obvious in her silence that she's pouting. It's kind of cute.

"Anyway, glad we got to see you for a bit, man." Travis pats my shoulder. He's acting normal, and while everything is normal for the most part, I can't help but pull away from his touch.

"Yeah," Jackson agrees. "But we've gotta get going. Sorry it's only been a couple of minutes. Coach is having us all get together for some last-minute practice tomorrow."

"Not sure I'll be able to wake up that early, though." Parker bounces up and ruffles my hair and chuckles before approaching the door. "See y'all later, I guess."

"Alright. Bye, guys," I say as Emori shuts the door behind them.

Emori sits on the couch, and everything is quiet for a bit. It's just Emori and I now, and it feels awkward. Ma and Dad are out of town visiting my uncle, and Lottie is with them. They won't be back until later tomorrow, and it's getting late.

"You have some great friends," Emori says softly, fidgeting with her keys.

"They have their faults." Understatement of the century. But it's pretty much the same for everyone. "I love them though."

"I know." She drops the keys on the counter, and I sigh. I think I know what she's thinking.

"You know... Asa told me."

Her head snaps toward me. "Who did what?"

I sigh again and run a hand through my hair. "Asa told me about what happened with you guys." After I came home, he came around and told me that Emori had a choice to make between him and I, and she'd chosen me. I was confused at first, but I remembered what Emori said during our date. Asa seems like a nice guy, but we fell for the same girl. In the end, she chose who she liked more. It would have sucked for either one of us. "I just thought you should know."

"Oh" is all she says. She remains quiet for a while, and I imagine she's thinking about everything. Mulling it over and analyzing it like she does with everything.

"Even if you had chosen him," I begin as I sit down next to her and rest a hand on her cheek, "we still could have been friends. I wouldn't have been angry."

She sighs in contentment as she leans into my hand. "Thank you." She tilts her face up and our lips met. Her lips are soft, almost silky, and pillowy against my won. I feel the soft tickle of her breath beneath my nose, fingers carding through her hair as I deepen the kiss.

Her body melts into my arms. Her hand tugs at the back of my head as if to pull me closer. Every part of my being explodes. I've never felt this way toward anyone before. Ever.

Time slows to a stop.

I relax on the couch, pulling her back with me as I do. The armrest digs into my back, but I don't care. The only thing that matters is the way her lips taste like milk and honey from the tea she just drank and the rosy smell of her perfume and shampoo and just... her. The feeling of her weight against me is the most extraordinary high I've ever experienced.

My hands are everywhere and nowhere at once. Her fingernails rake up my chest, sending tingles from my head to my toes. Eventually, her shirt comes off, and she pulls away quickly, breaking our connection and breathing heavily.

"Sorry, I just... I can't." She backs up a little but doesn't make the effort to get off the couch. Her head turns away, and I sit up a little in concern. "I know you can't see me, but... I still feel like the old Emori. The fat one. I can't..."

What? Doesn't she know I've always felt the same way about her? "Hey," I say, softly shushing her. "It doesn't matter what your body looks like. And I know for damn sure the person inside it is beautiful no matter what. But if you're not ready for that, I won't push you. You have to be just as comfortable with it as me."

She sniffles and leans her head against my chest. Her breasts tickle my stomach, reminding me that her shirt is now on the floor somewhere.

Using the blanket on the back of the couch, I cover both of us up as we stay in the same position. Her breathing is slow again, and I focus on that while we calm down.

Everything about our kiss is different from any other girl I've been with. Even different from Roxie. With Emori, she sets me on fire but in the best possible way.

I smile, braiding a section of her hair.

"Thank you." She sniffles again. "You don't know how much that means to me."