Thirty-Three

Tay still isn't ready to come back to school, and that lifts an enormous weight off my shoulders

Tay still isn't ready to come back to school, and that lifts an enormous weight off my shoulders. He isn't supposed to come back for a few more days, but with Roxie's rumor, I've been afraid he'll come back just to set things straight. A few people whisper and point in my direction as I walk past, head held low.

Rumors spread fast in a small community. Even more so when it comes to schools. Knowing that everyone else has already heard the rumor makes me feel much worse.

"What are y'all staring at, huh?" Travis waves his hands in a shooing motion at the bystanders as he appears at my side.

A group of freshmen scatters in opposite directions. Two girls in matching yellow crop tops and ripped jeans shift but don't move. They roll their eyes when he doesn't back down and turn to shut their lockers before stalking off.

"You didn't have to do that," I mumble, pulling books out of my locker. People aren't gonna stop whispering just because someone yells at them. It's human nature to meddle in other people's business. I've gotten used to it before, so I can get used to this, too.

"I know, but people need to mind their own damn business." He glares at the few remaining people, then gestures for Jackson to come over.

Jackson, who is too busy scolding someone else, scowls at them one last time before walking over. "I've had enough of these damn people"

I shrug and ruffle Jackson's auburn hair, which is difficult to do since he's nearly a foot taller than me. "It's fine, guys. I'm used to it."

He grasps my hand and gives me a sad frown. "But you shouldn't have to be, Em. You shouldn't have to deal with them so much that you're used to it."

I sigh and force a smile. Smile and comfort others. That's what I'm good at. That's what it will take to calm them down. "Really, guys, it's fine."

They both look unconvinced, but the bell rings, giving me an excuse to run into the classroom beside me.

Mr. Chambers looks up from his desk and grins. Ever since he and Mom started going out, they've been in amazing moods. Of course, Mom was always in a good mood even before Mr. Chambers. It's nice to see her back in the dating game, though. He appears just as happy to be with her as she is with him, and that's all I can ask for.

"Is there something I can help you with, Emori?"

I shake my head to clear it. "What?"

He chuckles and shifts in his chair. "You were staring at me, and I was starting to get a bit uncomfortable."

"Oh, sorry," I splutter, cheeks warming up as I rush to my seat.

The whole class period ends up being my time to think. Paying attention would have been more beneficial, but I can't focus. It isn't just the rumor. Travis and Lottie have been acting weird when they're together, and that seems to be way more than usual. Sometimes, if I wait long enough, I can catch one staring at the other.

I shake my head to clear it. It's probably just something about Tay. Whatever it is, that's their business, not mine.

When the bell rings, I drag my feet to the bathroom where the guys can't follow me. Just as I'm about to exit the stall, I hear giggling and stay put. Whoever it is has probably heard about the rumor, and I don't need them to stare at me while I wash my hands.

"Can you believe how fast the news spread?" Darcie's voice fills the air as her chapstick clicks open. "Are you serious about it, though? That's not something you should lie about. Especially since you ruined a perfectly good relationship."

Roxie scoffs and turns on the faucet. "That's the point, Darcie. Tay's mine. Not that fatass's."

"Jesus. She's not fat anymore, Roxie. Be nice."

"How can I? The bitch thinks that just because she lost all that weight, she can steal my man? No way." She snickers and I bite my cheek to keep from saying anything. "Nothing has gone on between us in three months."

They never did anything? I actually believed something happened between them when nothing did? How selfish am I for believing the rumor?

Just as I'm about to rip open the stall door, Darcie speaks again. "You're such a bitch, you know that. I don't know how we ever became friends. You destroyed a relationship. And for what? A chance you don't have?"

Roxie lets out a small growl, and Darcie storms out, slamming the door behind her. The stall door clicks as it comes in contact with the latch, and Roxie's head shifts towards me. As soon as her eyes meet mine, instant regret fills her features.

"Emori, I -"

I put my hand up to cut her off and fight the urge to slap her with it. "You know, I thought you were a decent human being." My arm shakes and I drop it, turning my head away to laugh. "I mean, God, how stupid am I? I didn't want to believe everyone else that said you were a snake because I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. I used to think maybe we could be friends. But apparently, I was so, so wrong."

Roxie bares her teeth, jabbing a finger into her chest. "Me? Tay and I were together for a while, but it didn't feel like it. All he ever talked about was you. Emori, this. Emori, that." She wipes her nose as a tear slides down her cheek. "Hell, there was never a Tay and me. You might have grown apart, but it was always Tay and Emori, with me to disguise it. So, you don't get to lecture me on how horrible of a person I am."

Tay talked about me? He used to tell me about Roxie, but it wasn't a lot. We would usually talk about family and schoolwork when we got the chance. I've only ever been told that Roxie treats people like trash. This Roxie... She isn't who I heard about. This is someone else entirely.

I click my tongue. "You need to apologize to him and everyone else. I don't wanna be the one to tell him why you did this, but I will if you don't. Apologizing to him is your problem because you made damn sure he wasn't mine."

She scoffs and tosses her chapstick into her purse. "You have no damn right to tell me what to do."

"When it's interfering with my life" - I jab a thumb at my chest, and my voice rises in volume - "I have a right. I have a right to demand that something is done!"

She crosses her arms and stands her ground.

"You know what? I'll find you later. Then we'll go see Tay together." I push past her to reach the door.

"Bitch," she mutters under her breath as I pass her.

I stop and turn to face her again, clenching my fist at my side. But instead of hitting her like I want, I take a deep breath and push the door open.

The only bitch here is her. She tricked me into thinking Tay would actually cheat on me. Every insecurity I have about myself has been exploited. She still views me as the same person as before. No matter how much I change, that will always be the same for some people. But she made me second guess Tay. She made me...

She didn't make me do anything.

Maybe I am the bitch.