chapter two

vanessa alan banks ;

    "Rick Riley, Scooter Vanderbilt, Cole Sutherland."

"Who are they?"

Now, I may have said that I wasn't going to make any friends today and I was going to be a loser forever, but now that I was walking at a fast pace down the hall with a senior girl name Kahlúa—yes, she was named after the alcohol your parents usually get wasted on every night—I realized that I think I actually do have a friend.

Kahlúa was gorgeous. So was so sweet, so energetic, bounced with pride with each step she took, knew everything about everyone, and she just seemed like a great person. She had bright red hair and bright green eyes, with deep dimples showing every time she smiled. I wish I looked like her. She was seventeen, just like me. The two of us met in fourth period mechanics class, which may have just been last period, but we talked nonstop and now she was showing me the ropes around this place.

"They're all on the varsity hockey team, and they're senior boys you should probably stay away from. Scooter, well, he's sweet, but he has his moments. If you're friends with him, then the three boys will leave you alone for let's say, one quarter of the school year. Cole Sutherland, he's an ass, and he's very stupid, not bright and very illiterate. If you manage to become friends with him, you'd be left alone for.., about a semester of the school year. Now if you somehow.., become friends with Rick Riley, who's father basically owns this whole place, well let's face it, you're golden," Kahlúa explained to me. The two of us came to a halt at the end of the hall which lead to two other separate halls where we would have to part ways.

I rose my eyebrows with concern and interest, "but.., but," I sighed. I swiftly turned my body so that I was now facing her. I hugged my folder and my notebook to my chest, peering at the girl with an exhausted look. "Who are the girls I need to look out for?"

Kahlúa suddenly let out a laugh. She puckered her lips and obnoxiously whistled causing those around us to stare. I looked down with red cheeks a the dirty grey carpets below our feet. It was unreal to me that the floors were carpet instead of tiles. My old school had tiles, which included broken ones causing us to trip and fall every day. That was one thing I wouldn't miss about my old school. But surely, I did miss the people. I looked back up at the red head in front of me, who was still trying to contain her laughter and mix of anger.

"Mindy Pinkerton, Cindy Grey, Addison Sheppard and Maci Bailey, ugh I hate her with a burning passion," she grumbled. I rose my eyebrows at the now overwhelmed and angered girl. She took a moment to collect herself before turning back to me with a charming smile. "Anyways, babe, I gotta get to my wonderful U.S. History class with the lovely Mrs. Lydia. Here's the thing," she started, slowly starting to walk backwards. She kept eye contact with me. I could feel myself start to smile, start to giggle out of nervousness for my next class and joy. "When you have her class seventh period, count how many times she raises her hand."

   I furrowed my eyebrows together in confusion, "how many times she raises her hand?" I questioned. What did she mean by that? Someone couldn't possibly raise their hand that much, could they? Kahlúa nodded her head sheepishly.

   "Just do it!" She shouted. The girl suddenly turned around, strutting down the hall. I could see her waving to our classmates as she passed them, even managing to high-five most of them. I let out a small laugh. "See ya, babe!"

   Second by second, I could no longer see my friend. I realized I no longer had a place where I stood in the hall. I needed to get to class before it was too late. I was now alone. Kahlúa has been by my side all day, or even Guy Germaine who was taking some senior classes this year which was quite shocking to everyone, having a freshman in a senior class? I thought it was cool. He was so smart it was unreal. I was sure he already had colleges waiting to accept him.