Chapter 5

"Jennie? Jennie, are you okay?" Maria asks urgently but I'm too shocked to respond. "I'm calling 911-"

"Don't!" I shout suddenly, coming to my senses. "I mean... I'm fine. It was just a bird."

"Are you sure?" Maria asks uncertainly.

I start to calm down. "I promise, Maria. I'm fine. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" Before she can reply, I hang up.

Immediately, I begin yelling. "What are you doing here? Get out!"

Nico ignores me despite my tone and walks around my room, rubbing in the sunscreen that rests on his neck and arms.

Worry starts to fill me. "Oh my gosh. Did I spray your eyes?" I ask. I pick up some tissues from my desk and hand them to him. "I thought you were a robber."

He scoffs at this and uses a tissue to wipe his face. "Don't worry. You didn't get my eyes."

I sigh with simultaneous relief and disappointment.

"Your aim sucks, though," he says. "If I was a robber, your precious stuffed animal army would be mine." His lips lift in a small smirk as my eyes shift to my stuffed alpaca collection.

Any concern I had for him quickly disappears. "Why did you break into my room? Are you some kind of pervert?"

"What? No!" he exclaims, offended.

I cross my arms. "Mhm. Then what's your excuse?" I ask, pursing my lips.

He finally has the decency to look down with a sheepish smile. I wait expectantly for his answer, tapping my foot loudly, but he just continues to survey the room.

"Today, Nico," I urge him.

He stops pacing and clears his throat. "My dad kicked me out," he starts then stops himself. "Wait, no. Let's say that I ran away."

I blink, neither impressed nor sympathetic.

"So what? You thought breaking and entering was the best response?" I ask.

He laughs, as if this is all completely normal. "Yeah, I was kinda worried you moved or something... Your dad still works a lot, right?"

I let out a light scoff. "You can't remember my name but you remember my dad's work schedule?"

"Come on, you can't be mad about that," he says. "I remember your name. Jamie, right?"

I point to the window in response.

"I'm kidding!" he backtracks quickly. "I'm kidding, Jennie. It was a joke."

I don't laugh. In fact, I don't say anything as he bites his lip and looks around.

"Sooo can I crash here for a bit?" he asks.

"Don't you have someone else you can stay with?" I respond tiredly. The dude's friends with half the school.

"Their parents all know my dad. Signore Accardi has his connections," he jokes with Italian flair. When I'm quiet, he adds, "They'll just send me back."

"You didn't bring any clothes or toiletries. You expect me to buy those for you?" I ask flatly.

His face brightens despite my tone. "Is that a yes? You're the best-"

"No. We're not even friends," I interrupt.

He pouts. "Please?"

"Pouty faces don't work on me."

He stops. "Come on, I'll be out soon."

"Soon?" I repeat and he nods eagerly. "No."

"Jennie, please. I'll... I'll pay you. Once I get money." He mumbles the last part.

"I don't want your money."

"Then what do you want?" he asks simply.

I start to make my way to the door to escort him out. "Nothing. You should leave-"

"Brian," he says with a tone of revelation, his gray eyes turned bright. I freeze. "That's the guy who fucked you over, right? I'll help you get revenge on him. It'll be great."

I roll my eyes and turn back around to face him. "I'm not immature, Nico," I say.

"It's not immaturity. It's karma. I mean, the guy cheated on you. And with Kenzie Fitz. That girl's..." His voice trails off when he sees my expression. "Give me a chance, Jennie. That guy's a dick. He should pay for what he did." A devious shine deepens in his eyes with every word. It's like I'm being hypnotized.

My eyes narrow. "You're so manipulative."

He grins devilishly, his eyes screaming trouble. "Then it's a good thing I'm on your team," he replies smoothly.

Biting my lip, I stare into the storm that is his grey eyes. They urge me, welcoming me. Wait, no. Not welcoming me- baiting me.

I'm going to regret this.

"Fine," I say finally. "You can stay for one week."

The sin in his eyes is replaced by its usual lightness. "Wh-that's it?" he exclaims but when he sees my expression, he backs down. "I mean, thanks," he says and gives me an overly innocent smile.

Not returning it, I stick out my hand. "One week."

He stares down at it like a challenge. Something in him switches and the lightness in his face is replaced with smugness. Like someone with a Full House of cards.

Like I fell right into his trap.

He shakes my hand firmly and I try to ignore how his skin feels against mine.

"One week."