Chapter 15

I'm walking to class when a hand grabs me and pulls me into the janitor's closet.

I start kicking and punching, escaping the grasp only to be pulled back in. "Ow! Damnit, Cho!" the kidnapper growls.

I stop fighting. "Nico, what are you doing..." My voice trails off as he looks out the door, pressing me up against it, before closing it and leaving us in the dark.

For a moment, we stand there in silence. I can feel the heat radiating off of his chest, and smell the minty scent of my fabric softener on him. When I look into his eyes, they're dark and slightly stricken.

We both move away at once and I nearly trip over a bucket on the floor. "What do you want?" I ask once I regain my balance.

"What?" he asks blankly before regaining his thoughts. "Oh, right. What are you doing during lunch today?"

"Eating?"

"That's it?" he asks. I nod. "Good. Meet me at your car when the bell rings," he says and goes to leave but I pull him back.

"To do what?" I ask.

"You're my accomplice now," is his explanation. Translation: something that'll probably get us in trouble.

"Nico..."

"We'll be back before class starts. Don't be a wimp."

I glare at him. "Watch your mouth, Accardi."

"This is top secret stuff, Cho. You're the only one I'm telling. Please?"

His tone is genuine enough to make me consider it. I run my tongue over my teeth before finally nodding. "Fine. But let's get one thing straight. You're my accomplice, not the other way around."

He grins almost mockingly. "Deal." Making his way to the door, he opens it lazily. "After you."

I offer him an ironic half-smile. "What a gentleman."

The trouble that I get into for Nico Accardi.

---

Nico and I walk into Spanish late, capturing the attention of the entire class. Samaya stares at me from her seat with huge eyes as I walk over awkwardly, not appreciating the eyes on me, as Señor Dorado gives us irritated looks.

Until the second I sit down, Samaya is staring at me suspiciously with her arms crossed.

"Hey," I say as casually as I can.

She squints her eyes at me. "Be honest with me, Jen. Are you dating Nico?" she whispers, 100% serious.

"What?! No!" I whisper way too loud.

"¡Dora!" Señor Dorado calls out my "Spanish name." I've been in his class for three years and I'm still not used to being addressed like the bob-cut cartoon explorer I grew up watching.

"Lo siento, Señor ," I apologize, trying not to sound sarcastic. Just barely, I hear a light chuckle. When I turn around, I see Nico staring at me with amusement and holding in his laughter. There's a glimmer of something in his eyes... approval?

Samaya looks at me pointedly and I can practically see her mind running. "See, what was that?" she whispers.

"Later," I whisper, channeling my inner ventriloquist.

"Your hair changes, your clothes change, you're always seen walking together, are you guys dating?" Samaya asks.

"¡Dora y Juanita!" Señor Dorado scolds and I place a hand on my forehead.

"¡Lo siento Señor! Muy muy," Samaya pipes up, flashing her brightest smile. It works like a charm. He grimaces but doesn't say anything.

As soon as his attention is somewhere else, Samaya shoots me a look. "Now," she whispers.

"It's nothing," I say, trying to end the conversation.

"Then why's your face all red and why were you late?" Her eyes widen and her jaw drops as she puts two hands over her mouth. "Were you guys-"

"Samaya!" I scold under my breath.

Her eyes turn into hearts. "Oh my gosh. It's a classic enemies-to-lovers romance. That's sooo cute. Wait, but what about Theo? Damn girl, you-"

"It's not like that! I'm just helping him with a project," I say, my face turning scarlet.

"A 'project', huh?" Samaya waggles her eyebrows.

"¡Dora y Juanita!"

"¡Lo siento!" Samaya and I exclaim in unison. I shoot her a look to let her know I'm done talking, which she meets with an angelic smile.

It's always the innocent looking ones that have the evilest minds.