Chapter 23 | F@#! You, Dudes

Doris and I are having a silent stand-off

Doris and I are having a silent stand-off. The batty little receptionist is glaring at me with those beady eyes and I glare right back because this sister is not about to back down.

"Doris," I speak as calmly as I can through clenched teeth. "Let me go up there."

"You don't have an appointment," She hisses right back. "Go make one and then we can talk."

"I worked here just a couple of months ago! You know me!"

"Yes, as Mr. Rey's stalker!"

"I was acting! I'm not some one night stand that's obsessed with him."

"Sure, you aren't."

"Doris! Let me go to his office, woman!"

She shakes her head and goes back to work, picking up the phone and putting it to her ear. The nerve she has. No one's even on the line.

I blow out a breath. Okay. Time to regroup and try this at a different angle. I plaster on a smile that I hope doesn't look like I'm in pain and present her the box of brownies I made. She doesn't even glance up.

"Doris." My teeth are about to crack from my fake smile. "How about you try some of my brownies? I think we got off the wrong foot."

She glares at me then over her glasses that make her narrow eyes look even smaller. "I'm not a man that you can butter up with your cheap tactics, honey. Save the show."

My jaw drops open in disbelief. Screw this. I slam the box shut again in her face. "Are you calling me a whore, Doris? 'Cause I think you'd make some good competition, lady!"

"Sierra!" Harper is suddenly running over to me, horrified. Meanwhile Doris is sputtering and growing red in the face and genuinely looking like she might go into cardiac arrest. I can't say I'd be sorry.

I kick my shoulders back just as Harper reaches me. "She's not innocent, Harps. She's got the evil witch thing down."

"You—" Doris stabs her sword finger in my direction and can barely speak. I point both my fingers at my eyes and then back at her. I thought old ladies were supposed to be nice.

Harper yanks me back again and starts dragging me away. "My apologies for the mix-up, Doris! Mr. Rey requested that Sierra has full access to his office and I didn't get the chance to pass the message along."

"Her?" Doris questions sourly. She scoffs and mutters under her breath, "Of all the women he could have..."

"You want to go, Doris?" I span my arms out and Harper struggles to contain hold of them. Oh, whatever. "Let's go outside then. Wanna dance, big girl?"

"Sierra!" Harper hisses. She might be a willowy thing but she apparently possesses the strength of ten men when she grabs my torso and drags me away. I struggle against her but it's no use. Her tiny muscles have freakish power. I at least manage to throw Doris the finger and the little hag tosses one right back. Evil.