Chapter 10

Riley

I was still freaking out on my way to school the next morning. What did Grayson need to tell me? What did he know about my past? What was that freaky electricity thing? My head was still pounding. I felt a pain between my eyes ever since we held hands. What did he do to me? I didn't bother with Mayas makeup or curling my hair or wearing something nice. I didn't care about any of that today. I just needed to find out what was going on. I should have just listened to him. But I totally freaked. I'm not sure if I just didn't want to know the truth, or if I didn't want him to have anything to do with my amnesia or my former life. I had no idea if my life used to be better than the one I had now, or if it was worse. I was scared to find out.

When I entered the building, the pain intensified. I still felt the electricity, but the buzzing in my head was stronger. He must be close. He stood in front of my locker when I turned the corner. His colors were nervous and hesitant. Also, remorseful. He felt bad for what happened. But was it what happened yesterday, or what happened three years ago? The only way to find out was to talk to him. I walked directly to him and didn't loose eye contact. His colors started changing to relief and hope. I think that was a good sign.

"Riley, I'm so sorry I freaked you out yesterday. That wasn't my intention. I was just hoping I could fill in some of the blanks for you. If you aren't ready to talk to me, I understand. I will wait as long as you need. But I do have the answers you are looking for. They aren't bad. I promise. Probably overwhelming though. It will be a lot to take in. So, when you are ready, let me know."

I let out a sigh of relief. That didn't sound too bad. I could see the honesty in his color. But was I ready to hear what he had to say. "Okay. I will let you know." I turned and headed to class. He followed behind. Not too close. He gave me space and I appreciated that. He sat next to me but didn't say anything. Maya had asked me a million questions yesterday, but I was not going to talk about it. She thought he had tried something with me. I reassured her it was nothing like that.

Class moved along so slowly. I noticed some whispers and stairs. But I didn't let it get to me. Their gossip was so not important compared to whatever was happening with me and Grayson. By lunch time, I had enough of waiting. It was killing me. When he saw me at my locker, I gave him a nod, letting him know it was okay to talk to me. "Would you go off campus with me? I think that privacy would be better." He said. "Yeah, that's fine. Let's go to the beach." I followed him out to his Jeep. It looked nice and new. Clean inside and out. A group of girls gave me the eye as I climbed in. They could think whatever they wanted. They didn't matter to me. This was more important. I already told Maya that I would be gone at lunch. She asked if I needed a body guard. She was a good friend.

We drove the couple of blocks to the beach and found a big rock to sit on. It was another beautiful day. I took off the hoodie and used it as a bit of cushion. We had found a spot that was a little more private. Some of the kids from school were already here with their boards. No one missed a chance to be on the beach when the weather was actually nice. I turned to Grayson and could see the anxious anticipation. I let him out of his misery. "Okay, I'm ready. But if its too much, I'm going to stop you. I don't know how much information I can take at once." "Of course. I can tell you as much or as little as you want to know. Stop me any time. This story is going to be long. So, tell me what things you want to know the most."

I though about what he said. It sounded like he had all the answers. But I didn't know if that was true. What if this was all just a big lie? It couldn't be though. His colors told me he was honest and sincere. I could tell that he cared about me. How that was even possible, I didn't know. But I do know that his name was in my head and so were his eyes. That couldn't be a coincidence. "Do you know what happened to my parents?" "I know more than you, but not much. Do you want all the back story, or just what I know about their death?" "Just their death for now. I think that's all I can take."