Chapter 36 Can You Accept That

***One of those cute babies growing up so big and beautiful!***

Hesitantly, I picked up my left arm and slowly crossed it over my chest so that my hand could clasp at Pierce's right one that hung just over my shoulder. Holding onto his warm flesh I tried to speak.

"P...Pierce?" I started and immediately felt him flinch and stiffen. His reaction halted any further attempts on my part to talk.

Pierce took a firmer grasp on my hand and after a moment I felt his body slowly relax. He leaned over closer to me so that his forehead rested on the side of my head.

"Sorry," he murmured.

"You o...okay?" I asked tentatively.

Pierce gave a slight huff of laughter.

"I think that's my line," he said softly.

Confused. I twisted my head to look up at him.

"What does that mean?"

He stared back at me with a combination of expressions chasing across his face. He finally answered simply, "You're stuttering," as if that said it all.

"I d...did?" I said then immediately stopped as I realized I was stuttering at this very moment.

I clamped my lips closed in frustration. I hadn't realized. And of course, Pierce, ever attentive, had. I hated, more than ever this persistent, involuntary stammering that I couldn't seem to shake.

"You don't even realize when you stutter?" Pierce asked, looking surprised.

I shrugged and looked down. It was embarrassing, but I guess I didn't.

Pierce squeezed my hand and gave a small chuckle. The chuckle made me lift my head back up to his.

He was still staring down at me. As our eyes met, he smiled.

"Don't be mad," he said with a rueful expression. "You're just so cute."

I rolled my eyes back at him. I had no idea what he was talking about now. He was upset one moment and in the next laughing.

"I don't think I am the only one with problems. You might one to get those mood swings checked out," I muttered, feeling flustered as well as a tad bit mean.

But of course, I shouldn't have worried. My words only made Pierce chuckle louder.

He let go of my hand and shifted on the sofa to face me more. I reciprocated until we sat facing each other, our knees touching. Pierce's right arm still ran along the back of the couch, his fingers absently toying with strands of my hair. His other hand sought out one of mine and he held it lightly, letting it rest on his thigh.

He was still smiling as he stared down at me, his body once again completely relaxed.

"I hate when you stutter because it's a sign of your anxiety. Did you know you have hardly stuttered the last few times with me and not at all today, so when you did just a few minutes ago I was startled... and worried."

I hadn't realized I had been stuttering less. And I was both embarrassed and pleased that Pierce had.

I lowered my eyes then glanced back up at him. "I wish y...you wouldn't worry about it."

Pierce looked surprised by my words. "How can I not worry about you, Jackson. It's like breathing or being hungry. Neither are choices. Both naturally happen. My concern for you is a natural manifestation of my... my affection for you."