39 | I'm Fine

You open your eyes.

Was it a dream? Were you so desperate that you dreamed about him?

You lean up, rubbing your head, and groaning. You have a hammering headache, and you feel like you've been sleeping for days.

You're in your room, but there's something different about it. . .

"Sh-Shoto?" You blush, pulling your blanket over your nightdress.

He's dozing off at your desk, sitting in your chair. 

You've been in his room a few times, but you never would've imagined it'd be this embarrassing for him to be in yours.

Maybe it's the dream you just had that's making you so flustered.

But then why is Shoto here? Is he hurt, or was that a dream too?

"You're awake," he smiles, acting like he wouldn't have thought you would be.

"Y-yes," you stutter, "but why are you here? I thought you were hurt?"

He gets up, walking over to your bed and taking your hands in his. It's only then you notice his wet cheeks and puffy eyes.

"I am well now, only thanks to you," he whispers, smiling, "your quirk is miraculous."

He lifts his shirt (you immediately blush before you realize what he's doing) and shows you his bandages.

"The wound is almost closed," he says in disbelief, "the doctor said your quirk. . .healed me?"

You gasp. Was it not a dream?

"But please, my angel," he sighs, "do not do it ever again."

"Shoto," you scoff, "I will always. Now that we know I can heal you--"

"Please. Not if it leaves you like this."

You look at him quizzically. "What do you mean?"

"You've been asleep for three days. I didn't think you. . .I thought you. . ."

"Oh, Shoto."

You hug him, feeling the familiar warmth and curve of his body. 

"I'm fine." You tell him. "And so are you. That's all that matters."

You tell him about your talk with the king and the things he said. About the screaming, the mention of him dying.

He looks confused; shocked, even. "What do you think?" He asks you.

"That's the thing," you sigh, "I don't know what to think. You said the Duke was at the fight, and then the king mentioned him. . ."

"Yeah, but my father mentioned him killing me."

You're both silent.

"Wait," you say, an idea forming, "the maid says he has nightmares. Nightmares, Shoto."

"Yes?" He says, lifting a brow. "I was also thinking it could be some sort of quirk. . ."

"You're right!" You say excitedly. "A quirk, giving him nightmares! What if it's some sort of warped reality? His worst nightmares, mixed with the real world, making him delirious and unable to rule?"

". . .And then whatever happened to me. That was probably a quirk too," Shoto adds.

"Yes," you reply, "and so was that other person. Someone masqueraded as Mayra, but it looked too real. A quirk, perhaps?"

"What?"

Oops. You forgot he didn't know that Mayra is dead.

"Shoto," you start, "the thing is, we found Hitoka with Mayra's dead body, so it couldn't. . ."

You stop at the sight of Shoto's expression.

A single tear runs down his cheek.

You immediately hug him, realizing that he must've known her better than you did. He's lived here all his life.

"She used to care for me," Shoto whispers, "like a mother."

He quietly cries into your shoulder. "It's okay, you can grieve," you say, patting his back gently, "Royals can cry too. We're only human."

You stay like that for a while, until Shoto's cheeks are dry and his eyes are clear. You don't let go of his hand, though.

"Do you know what the Duke's quirk was, Shoto?" You ask.

"First, I don't think he's dead," Shoto says, "if that man could withstand my father for so long, he's not dying so easily." 

"Second, everyone thought he was quirkless, even me. I guess only my father would know if he wasn't."

"I don't think he's dead either," you explain, "and I think he hit you with his quirk, whatever it is, and somehow was making you sicker in an attempt to get rid. . .well, you know."

"But why?"

You can see the betrayal written all over Shoto's face. When Hitoka betrayed you, you felt the same way. All this can't be easy for him.

You take his hand, standing up and out of your bed. "Let me change, and then I have an idea."

"Okay," he blushes, leaving. 

He closes the door, and you slip out of your nightdress and into a fitted gown. 

Shoto has helped you so many times before, now it's your turn. 

He seems stressed and he just lost a friend, so you feel an obligation to do something for him. A picnic? A horseback ride? A stroll through the village?

Something calming, for sure. He needs it.

What would be the best choice?

A/N: 

So tell me, what do you guys think? (your vote could change the outcome of the story)

A picnic?

A horseback ride?

Or a stroll through the village?

Leave a comment and vote above ^^