57.5 | Justice

They're distracted. 

While the prince is returning from the castle, or what remains of it, the intruder decides it's the perfect moment. He unsheathes his weapon of choice, delighting in the sound of the sharp metal scraping against its home.

He creeps across the grass, the darkness hiding him from whoever might see.

The silver lining of the tent makes it clear who's inside. The guards, too, although they won't see it coming. All it takes is a taste.

King Mizuki never fooled him; a happy, easy-going king in the sunlight, retreating into the shadows and becoming a manipulative bastard. A tyrant.

It will all end tonight.

He knows that King Mizuki was injured from the fire. Really it's the only good thing that came out of it; the stupid League just couldn't get it right. They didn't kill a single royal in all of the chaos.

He came here to change that. 

He stands in front of the two guards by the king's tent, letting them get a good look at him. He won't kill them. Not today.

After a little scuffle, they're down, unmoving but not dead. It's the work of his quirk.

The taste of blood is still on his tongue, and the guards should stay down for at least five minutes.

He only needs three.

Inside the tent is a sleeping king, curled up in a blanket and bandaged. He mumbles in his sleep, dreaming of who knows what. 

He kicks the edge of the rackety bed, watching as King Mizuki jerks awake. He eyes widen at the sight of an intruder, but he doesn't move.

"Wh-who are you?!" He growls, trying to hide the fear in his voice. His eyes flick to the weapon in the intruder's hand.

"Does it really matter?" The intruder says, "Whether you know me is not the problem. You are the problem."

King Mizuki shudders, opening his mouth to cry out, but before he can he has a weapon to his throat.

"You can call me the fixer of problems. Or Stain will do."

Stain smiles at the shaking king. "Now stay still."

King Mizuki lays back down, unable to fight back because of his injuries. Stain raises his weapon over the king's chest, right where his heart is.

"People like you are the problem in this world," Stain explains, tilting his head, "but I can fix that. One. Problem. At a time."

Then he plunges his sword into the shaking king's heart, taking away his last breath. Blood gushes from the wound.

The King's eyes are empty.

The job is done. 

Stain leaves, trying not to cause a ruckus, glaring at the paralyzed guards as he walks away.

After all, he's not here for his own glory.

He is here for justice.

He listens to the screams of a maid who discovered the guards. And he listens to the princess give an encouraging speech to a crowd of palace staff. He chuckles.

Justice has been served.