|3| The Wet Dream

♪You know I, I'm afraid of changeGuess that's why we stay the same♪

You know I, I'm afraid of change
Guess that's why we stay the same♪

July by Noah Cyrus

••••••••••••••••

I don’t like people. 

It has always been hard for me to get along with people, I found that trying to have company with people left me emotionally drained and anxious. In the past, I always felt that I had to pretend to be someone I wasn’t. A version that people would like. 

For most of my life, I had been an outcast so when I finally found people who liked me, I clung to them. I was a poor kid from a broken household, most of my clothes were hand-me-downs or stuff we got from church. I was shy with weird clothes and the perfect target for bullies. It always made it hard for me to trust people.

All my life I just wanted to be wanted

Not the burden, the shy girl, the snot-nosed kid who spoke too much but never said enough. 

Sadly, it took me much too long to realize I wasted away being someone I’m not. I wanted so badly to be cared for that I tried to turn myself into something that would warrant it. When I stopped trying to be what people wanted, they showed me who they really were. 

It is what drove me to Sin City, I could be the best version of myself and people loved it. I wasn’t the shy quiet black girl that no one remembered. People wanted me for who they saw and nothing else. I didn’t have to pretend to be anyone for a change. 

But, it is always Envy they want. Not Celeste. And I have to be okay with that.

The day is a hot one with the streets packed with people, I huff in annoyance when I almost crash into a couple making out in the middle of the street. I bite my tongue to keep from cursing them out and run around them. There are tourists everywhere, taking pics and being in the way of where I am trying to go. Looking down at my watch, I wince, 

Shit, I’m going to be late.

I hustle down the sidewalk, passing by the packed walkway and pulling at my dress so I don’t flash my ass accidentally. It makes me regret deciding to wear it but the heat beaming down from the sun changes my mind. My dark denim jacket is slung over my shoulder and I pull the black spaghetti strap dress down further.

I don’t want to give anyone a free show knowing I get paid for it. 

The building comes up ahead and I note the names and numbers for the offices. The third floor awaits me and by the time I make it up the stairs, I only have a few minutes left and have to stop myself from slamming face-first into the very broad back in front of me. I force my feet down, keeping myself from almost knocking the unsuspecting male over. Skidding to a stop, I breathe harshly looking up at the dude.