𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄.

★★★

"LOOK," HISSES THE FANGED WOMAN. "I have a life here. You're not going to drag me into your little rebellion."

"No, you don't, and yes, I will," says the other victor, infuriatingly calm. "Are you telling me you want to stay here and mentor kids for the Games forever? Ivy Rosewood started something big in that arena, and Clove Kentwell made it bigger. The districts—"

"Just because you hate the Games doesn't mean I do!" Enobaria snarls, her dark ponytail whipping back and forth as she paces. "It's fucking cold out here, anyway. Just tell me what you want and leave, Lyme."

"I want to stop the Hunger Games," she replies. "I want to take down Snow, once and for all."

"Oh, really? Sucks for you, because I don't care."

"Tough!" Lyme steps forward and grabs her shoulder, stopping her as she turns to stalk off. "You aren't walking away this time."

Enobaria growls and wrenches herself out of the taller woman's grasp. "Who are you to tell me what to do?"

"Look," Lyme continues, softer this time. "I've seen your Games. I went to the Academy with you for a while. I know who you are at heart. You want to fight your enemy until you can't. Who are you fighting, now that you're not in the Hunger Games anymore?"

"You, currently," snaps Enobaria. "And you're making it fucking hard, that's for sure."

"Don't be a smartass." It's Lyme's turn to pace, in measured, controlled circles. "You got Kentwell out of the arena. But the game's not over yet."

"President Snow likes his games," says Enobaria coldly, but her voice wavers, just a bit.

"Yes, he does." Lyme stops and turns to regard her stonily. "Change is coming."

"Don't give me that ominous cryptic bullshit."

Lyme's cold façade breaks just for a moment as she rolls her eyes. "Out of all the stubborn students I've worked with at the Academy, you are most certainly the worst."

"Thanks," retorts Enobaria, baring her fangs so that they catch the light of the dim gas-lamp on the fence of her backyard in the Victors' Village. "If that's all..."

"That's not all." Lyme stands ramrod straight, hardly moving. Always the soldier. "If I give you any rebel information, you will not repeat it to anyone. Not Brutus, not Clove, not the girl from Three."

Enobaria eyes her suspiciously. "Not Clove?"

"The girl will be safer without the knowledge. The other one, too. And as for Brutus, he's simply too loyal to the Capitol."

"Hmm." Enobaria doesn't like the idea of betraying her fellow mentor, but... something about the rebellion sounds wickedly tempting. She feels a dark thrill run through her at the idea of burning Snow's kingdom down.

Enobaria Goldthorn is loyal, yes. But perhaps she can redirect that loyalty.

"Fine. I'm in. Where do we start?"

★★★

a/n 2023: Thee end