𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐋𝐔𝐃𝐄.

★★★

ENOBARIA GOLDTHORN SLAMS HER PALMS down on the control panel, glaring scorchingly at the screens in front of her. "Do these two idiots even know how to stay alive?!"

Brutus takes off his tiny glasses and sets them on the table beside him. "No."

"Evidently!" Enobaria whips around and shoots him a glare so cold anyone else would have flinched away. The muscular victor just stares back impassively. "Don't you have your own tribute to shout at, anyway?"

"It's not like they can hear you," Brutus rumbles, crossing his arms.

Enobaria throws up her hands in exasperation, baring her mouthful of razor-sharp teeth. "How else am I supposed to let out my extreme rage at their incompetence, then?"

Brutus merely shrugs and sits down in Enobaria's rolly chair, much to her consternation. "Cato is doing well."

She snarls at him. "I don't care about your tribute, pigheaded as he is."

Since the only chair in the room is currently occupied by an annoying ox of a man, Enobaria takes to pacing around like the predator she is, ponytail whipping through the air. "Is it honestly too much to ask for Kentwell to at least pretend to show a bit of emotion?"

Brutus strokes his chin thoughtfully. "The other girl doesn't seem great at it either."

Enobaria waves a hand dismissively. "Typical District Three. Those weaklings know machines better than people. But Clove is supposed to be smart!"

"Clove also doesn't like to listen to instructions," Brutus adds helpfully.

Enobaria gives him a look. "Really," she deadpans. "What gives you that idea?"

Brutus just stares stonily back, and Enobaria sighs before shaking her head and shoving him off her chair. He hits the ground with an oof and Enobaria gladly sits down, rolling over to the sparse keypads on the panel.

"The kiss was fine," she rants while scrolling through another screen that shows all of Clove Kentwell's sponsors. "Perfect, even. The audience loved it! And then—"

"She doesn't like your love triangle idea."

Enobaria glares at him again. He doesn't react. Again. "Her options are to listen to me or die."

"Clove thinks she can win on her own terms," he continues.

"Why are you in my control room, giving me advice on how to handle my tribute?"

There came the approaching sound of whistling, and Finnick Odair pops his head through the doorway, making the guard in the hall jump. "How are we doing in here?"

Enobaria spins around to face him. "Fuck off, Odair."

Finnick holds up his hands in a placating gesture. "Just seeing how my fellow mentors are doing! Don't worry, I'm not here to spy. Both of my tributes are dead, you know."

Enobaria scoffs and turns back to the screens. Brutus continues to stare threateningly at Odair before he finally wises up and prances off.

"Sometimes being a mentor gets annoying," Enobaria hisses.

Brutus shrugs. "Sometimes."

𝐄𝐍𝐃 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐋𝐔𝐃𝐄.