HOGSMEAD

_____

_____

Harry Potter took notice of Ethaline's change in appearance, the idea of her getting over their friendship ending not sitting right with him. The more he thought of it the more he realized that she wanted to more than anything else at the time.

Harry knew he was Ethaline's escape just as she was his.

So why was she acting like he didn't exist?

The trio walked down the stoned path down to the small town known as Hogsmeade, excited to buy until their pouches of gold were empty. Harry was most excited for Butterbeer, but the thought of Ethaline saddened him a little.

On the other hand, he was excited he was going to see Sirius again to tell him all about his scar hurting, the tournament and new information regarding who may have put his name in the goblet.

"Cheer up Harry," Hermione said quietly, "She was never your friend."

Harry nodded, not saying anything as they walked forward and grabbed some Butterbeer to go. He glanced around, remembering the last time he was there was when he had an awkward exchange with Ethaline.

A good awkward, he thought, his lips curling into a small smile as he looked over to where the bathroom's were. It was then he remembered how close they were when she was speaking to him, the twinkle in her gray eyes and how her long blonde hair tickled his face slightly.

The Trio grabbed their drinks and began to walk towards the exit, talking quietly about a man named Snuffles. Just as they exited they saw the Slytherin four walk down the stone path. It was then Harry saw the black dress adorning Ethaline's body while a red piece of fabric, held into place by a gold clip, fell delicately behind her.

From what he and seen, she almost always wore gray or silver, seeing as it made her complexion glow and her eyes stand out more. She played to her strengths, not her weakness. Ethaline didn't like the color black because it was the entire indoor color of her home and she thought that was quite morbid. Growing up it was something she didn't like, going up to the same black and gray walls with no color to add.

The color was cold and callus, like she was just another decoration piece in the black tiled Manor. Like she was bound there with no room to move, breathe or escape.

Ethaline wasn't paying attention to her friends conversation as she glanced along the path, her eyes settling on a black skinny dog. Her gaze softened as she began to reach into her dresses pocket.

Theo pulled her a little harder, "Leave the pathetic dog Ethaline." He said, scoffing at the dogs scrawny and bony body.

Ethaline opened her mouth to defend him when Theo looked into her eyes, instead she nodded dropped her hand to her side and ignored the dog.

At this, Harry furrowed his eyebrows before he and his friends made their way over to the dog and followed him past the trees and up a hill in the forest. That was odd, he thought, she would never step aside and let a living creature starve.

She is so keen on helping and living animals she doesn't even eat from their giving. Of course, I can't tell Hermione or Ron about this, the subject will agitate them but...

Harry shook his head, he shouldn't pretend to know her. Ethaline played with his feelings and he wasn't going to be foolish enough to get roped in by a bloody Malfoy again, he thought.

They approached a cave and huddled in the small place; they saw litter of different foods on the ground as well as a single piece of thin fabric on the ground. Sirius turned into himself again, his face caved in from lack of food. He looked ill and almost blue from the cold.

"Oh, I'm glad you're okay Harry." He sighed in relief and embraced the boy.

Harry let out a sigh of relief, feeling slightly better with his godfather. Ron and Hermione waved at the ex-convict awkwardly, "We're glad you're okay, but don't you think it's a bit awkward you're running about hundreds of wizards—some of them ministry workers and some of them Malfoy's?" Ron spat bitterly.

Sirius frowned, "What are you talking about?"

"The girl, the one you saw with the black dress was Ethaline Malfoy—" Hermione started.

"Narcissa's daughter." Sirius exhaled slowly, "My cousin."

He thought about it for a second before he slumped on on a nearby rock, "She's fed me before, quite nice the girl is. On many occasions she would leave food out—I wonder why she didn't—"

Harry answered for him, "Apparently she's dating Theodore Knott."

Sirius raised an eyebrow, "The boy's father is on the list of death eaters—I imagine my family must be delighted to hear of her closing in ranks."

"Yeah." Harry hugged, sitting down as Sirius eyed him carefully before changing the subject.

"Very well then, tell me what's happened."

It was then Harry spilled his guts to his uncle, Hermione and Ron pitching in once in a while to fill in some holes as Harry spoke rapidly, scared he'll lose precious time with the only family he had left. They were in deep conversation when a twig snapped and Harry shot up from his seat, his eyes wide as he shielded Sirius.

"What..." Ethaline's eyes widened, her hand shaking as she eyed Sirius Black.

She then turned her heel and ran out, scared as Harry cursed and went after her. "Shit." Sirius cursed, pacing around as Hermione and Ron sat dumbfounded.

What the hell.

"Ethaline wait." Harry said, running faster than her through the forest. "Wait let me explain!" He said, finally grabbing her arm and yanked her back so she was pulled into his chest.

Her grabbed her wrists as she fought against his grip, "I don't want to hear it." Ethaline cried out in frustration as he was much stronger than her. "Let go of me—"

"He isn't going to hurt you! I promise you Ethy just listen to me—please." Harry pleaded, "just come back with me, I promise you nobody is going to hurt you but I can't..." he sighed, "I can't let you go."

"So, you want to hold me hostage?" She asked, her tone laced with panic, "Tight spaces—no." She struggled to form a coherent sentence.

"I won't, just clam down and let me explain. Let us explain." He said, watching as she calmed down in his arms. "Please." He begged, fear evident in his eyes.

He was scared he was going to lose his godfather.

Ethaline nodded slowly, exhaling as she looked down at the mud on her boots, "It better be good." She whispered as Harry led her back to the cave.