Chapter 9

"What about Ghost?"

Heather wrinkled her nose at Raven's suggestion, shaking her head. The two were currently seated at the kitchen table, Raven picking at a bowl of cereal and Heather half-heartedly glancing through the morning's paper. Raven had been suggesting names - "Code names, Heather, we're like government agents and since you're one of us, you need one too" - almost all morning and none of them really sounded right. "If I'm going to have a code name, Raven, I don't want an unoriginal one."

Raven pouted angrily, her brows furrowed together as she tried to think up a new one. "God, you're a tough crowd to please."

Heather smiled, before looking down at the forgotten paper. Not having a code name wasn't a big deal for her, but if choosing one made Raven stop bothering her about it - "What are some other names for a ghost?" Raven asked curiously. Even Heather had to think about that. "Spirit. Phantom. Ghoul - " Raven brightened at that, and Heather shot a glare in her direction, " - Don't even think about it. I don't have the power of a ghost, I just see them. So... I don't know, look in a different direction."

Raven was silent for a moment, before asking, "What was that thing Charles said you could control?"

"The astral plane, why?" Raven mouthed it to herself, before her face brightened. "Astra, that should be your name. It's original and not about the dead people, what do you think?" Astra. It wasn't totally unappealing - it had actually had a nice ring to it and it sounded like something Heather could get used to. "Works for me," she answered and tried not to laugh when Raven fist bumped the air, a smug look on her face.

Just then, the door to the basement flung open and Alex stomped out, looking frustrated. As he passed them, an intense burning smell filled the room and Heather nearly choked on it. "Looks like training wasn't a successful," Raven mumbled, her nose drawn up in disgust.

_______________________________

Later that day, Erik, Raven, Alex and Heather were all anxiously leaning out of a window - a very crowded window, they all realized after a while - to watch Sean fly. Or at least try. Though she had faith in Sean's mutation and Charles and Hank's guidance, that didn't mean she wasn't going to worry. For god's sake, Sean was jumping out of a window.

"And you're sure that this will work?" Sean asked from his spot on the window sill, a little nervousness in his tone, and Hank continued to fiddle with the man-made flying squirrel wings attached to Sean's arms. "Anything is possible. I based the design - " Charles interrupted him, pulling the man into the room, so he could take his place. "Hank, stop talking. Come on. Now - " He leaned out and turned slightly to face Sean," - remember. Scream as hard as you can. You need the sound waves to be supersonic. Catch them at the right angle and they should carry you." Sean leaned against the window, an uneasy smile on his face. "They should carry me. That's reassuring."

"Good luck. And don't forget to scream."

Sean nodded, before spreading his arms, leaping, and letting out the most pathetic sound ever. The next sound was him hitting the grass below and nearly everyone winced at the same time.

____________________________________