Chapter 17

Heather didn't have another second to think before she was hurled against the wall opposite to the door. The pain spread quickly throughout her back, making her wonder if she had managed to finally break her back. The pain was slowly beginning to fade, but before Heather could recover fully, she was picked up by the invisible force once more and thrown at the door. Her shoulder slammed into the wood and she let out a cry in pain.

"Heather?" a voice called out through the door. It was Erik and he was trying to open the door frantically, the door and knob shaking with his effort. "Heather, open the door." Another voice, Raven, cried out, "Heather, what's wrong? Its just us. Heather, please open the door." She wanted to tell them the truth, that a mad ghost was going nuts on her at the moment, but instead she made the mistake of looking in front of her.

Heather couldn't breathe; she couldn't move, she couldn't think straight and she couldn't understand. "No," her voice came out as a whimper as she tried to scoot closer to the door and further away from him, "No, this isn't possible."

He looked the same way he had when she had helped kill him. His pig like eyes, his wrinkled skin, his thin face, and his fancy black suit that looked remotely clean - except for the large dark stain on the front and back, right where his heart was. 

"Anything is possible," Shaw said in the furiously calm voice of his, "You should know that by now, my dear." He walked closer to her, a dark flare in his eyes, and Heather desperately tried to move away from his touch, but he simply tsked like she was a small child. "You know, after the little trick you pulled in Cuba, it took me a while to get my strength up and to get used to these - new powers." Ina blink of an eye, Heather found herself sailing across the room, striking the far wall once more. 

"Heather!" Raven and Erik continued to bang on the door, but it was no use. Heather wiped away the tears streaming down her face, desperate for Shaw not to see, but by the wicked smile on his face, she knew he had seen. "And now," Shaw continued, "That I'm strong once more, I'm going to kill you."

Heather's breathing quickened, as she scrambled away. She was going to die, oh god, she was going to die for real this time. Shaw was going to kill her and then probably kill Erik and Raven or make them find her body, oh god. He took another step towards her and Heather screamed out, "Stop!" To her surprise, the lights flickered once more and the warmth inside of her shot out through her fingertips. Shaw yelped and Heather's eyes widened. She had used her astral manipulation to hurt Shaw, hurt a ghost. Never before had she been able to do that.

Seeing that Shaw was disorientated at the moment, she saw it as the perfect (and only) moment to banish him.

She had learned the trick at age six, when a mean ghost - a demon, she would later realize - tormented her for a month: pulling her pigtails, scratching her back and legs, whispering evil words, and even pushing her mother down the stairs at one point. She had looked the demon in the eyes - its horrid red eyes - and told it strongly to go away. It took multiple times for it to work but it did. And it never came back.

She looked Shaw straight in his pig like eyes and said, "I banish you." For one second, nothing happened and Shaw furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. But slowly, the shadows of the room left their normal positions and came together, before wrapping themselves around Shaw and dragging him towards the center of the room. The mansion began to rock wildly, things falling from their sleeves, some shattering, as Shaw began to scream and desperately reach out for something to hold onto, but it was no use to fight against them.