Chapter 34

How did I get roped into this? Harry found himself thinking as he stood awkwardly, leaning against the wall just outside the Gryffindor Common Room. He banged his head slightly against the wall behind him with a premonition of certain disaster. Shutting his eyes and sighing deeply, he listened to the shuffling of feet and rising voices approaching from the room behind him while adding to the soft babel with the occasional thump of his head against the wall.

"Are you trying to give yourself a concussion?" Ginny smirked, poking her head out from the crack beneath the Fat Lady's portrait.

"Maybe," Harry replied, dragging out the first syllable.

"Come on," she said with clear exasperation. "It won't be so bad."

"Speak for yourself." Harry allowed himself a hefty eye roll as he pushed himself off of the wall.

"Well don't you look handsome," Ginny said, tilting her head to look at him appraisingly.

Harry looked down at himself automatically. He wore a black bowtie over a crisp white shirt, black slacks, and a black robe with silver trim. Naturally, his hair was as unkempt as ever which somehow matched his lopsided grin.

"Thanks," Harry replied as she shoved the portrait open and stepped out. Harry's breath caught in his throat and his eyebrows shot up. Luckily, he just barely managed to keep his mouth from gaping open.

Ginny wore a knee length dress in a shimmering gray. Layers of tulle cascaded around her legs while silver, white, and black lace flowers adorned her chest, arranging themselves into a delicate halter top. Her long red hair was wrapped into an elegant twist with a few strands curled to frame her face.

"Wow," Harry said. Suddenly, he felt very shabby in comparison and wished he had at least attempted to flatten his hair. "You look... stunning."

"Thanks, Harry," she said, clasping her hands in front of her and swinging slightly from side to side, setting her skirt cascading around her legs in a mesmerizing pattern. "Hermione should be out any minute now and then we can go."

Sure enough, right after she spoke, the portrait hole opened once more and Hermione emerged, slightly breathless.

"Okay, I'm ready," she announced as the Fat Lady swung closed behind her. She wore a pale blue dress with straps that criss-crossed in the back. Her hair was smooth and shiny (clearly with the help from liberal amounts of Sleekeazy's Hair Potion) and hung loosely around her shoulders with a simple clip holding back the front. She clutched her familiar beaded bag in one hand and started forward.

Harry nodded at the bag as she approached and asked with a sly smile, "Are you planning on making a quick get-a-way?"

"What? Oh, no," she answered distractedly. "It's just the only purse I have and there is nowhere to keep a wand in these dresses!"

"Well, you look beautiful," Harry responded and they fell into step beside each other. Their heels clacked loudly against the stone floor and after descending a flight of stairs, more students could be seen loitering about in their finery as they waited for friends.

"Do you know anyone else who was invited?" Harry asked curiously.

"Luna's coming," Ginny answered with a grin and--after noticing Harry's failed attempt to contain his surprise--she added, "She did get an Order of Merlin which automatically puts anyone on Slughorn's list."

Harry nodded and the trio continued on their way down the corridor towards Slughorn's office that he was sure was magically expanded and decorated lavishly. And he was not wrong. They stepped through the door and were attacked by vivid colors and holiday music. Emerald green velvet curtains were festooned across the walls with bright yellow lights strung in front of them. Festive wreaths were hung at the crook of each bend in the curtains and each table had a pile of delicate glass ornaments in its center, surrounded by various snacks and delicacies. Witches and wizards already filled the room and younger students, acting as caterers, flitted through the crowd carrying trays of drinks on silver platters.