Chapter 17

"Muggle money... clothes... wand... Kingsley's note..."

"You already checked the trunk upstairs, 'Mione," Ron interrupted her rambling list.

"Wizarding money... phone..." she continued as if no one interrupted her.

"Why did you get that thing again?" Ron looked curiously over her shoulder at the black flip phone that she had shoved into the corner of the trunk. She flicked her hair behind her shoulder without looking at him.

"To communicate quicker," she said if it were obvious to everyone before returning to triple checking their trunk.

"Why do you need that foam?" Ron asked Harry instead, who was watching them from the couch next to Mr. Weasley who currently held Harry's matching flip phone in his hand, clearly attempting to memorize every aspect of it with a bemused Ginny.

"First off, it's a phone, with an 'n.' And 'cause we can talk in real time without having to wait for an owl. It's a lot easier," Harry insisted after Ron's dumbfounded face did not show signs of any revelation.

"Plus, I'm assuming my parents' have one too so that way they can call me if they... if they forgive me," she faltered and Ron stood quickly to comfort her, but she waved him off and pressed on. She shut the trunk closed with a loud thud and turned to Mr. Weasley, still engrossed in the little buttons. "You know, you should get one Mr. Weasley. Then you can talk to Ron wherever he is, or your other kids if they get one too."

"I have been thinking of trying to convince Molly," he admitted, his eyes full of wonder. Mrs. Weasley came down the stairs, followed by George and Arthur hastily handed Harry's new phone back to him.

"Start saying your goodbye's, the portkey will be leaving in a few minutes now," she instructed and pulled her youngest son into a tight embrace before Harry could even push himself off the couch. Hermione turned to him with an anxious expression, but did not pull him into a hug.

"You have my number, right?" she asked.

"Yes, we already tested it out," he said, restraining from rolling his eyes.

"We'll be back well before your birthday," she peered carefully at him.

"I know."

"Call us if you need anything."

"You too." She nodded and finally stepped closer to him and wrapped her arms around his shoulders.

"You'll be okay without us, yeah?" she whispered. He risked rolling his eyes now since she couldn't see him.

"Yes, Hermione. I'll be fine." Try as he might, he failed to keep the amusement out of his voice. She pulled back abruptly and fixed a stern look on him.

"And I'm sure you'll be fine too," he added before she could scold him. Her gaze softened and she bit her lip with worry. "Call me tonight to tell me how it goes, okay?" She agreed with a faint smile and walked over to Ginny.

"See you, mate," Ron said cheerfully, gripping his shoulder.

"See you. And if you use her phone, don't scream, okay?"

"Make sure you talk loud enough so I can hear you."

"You really have no idea how to work a phone, do you?"

"Not in the slightest." They both grinned and watched Hermione say her much longer goodbyes. Molly embraced her, then pushed her away towards their trunk and the cracked picture frame on the table. Ron stepped forward and grabbed them both. Hermione laid her hand on the frame and a few seconds later, a pale blue light filled the room and they disappeared with the sound of a strong gust of wind, leaving only a trace of Ron's reassuring smiles.