TGWBP II

Fuyu reached for a nearby porcelain cup. The proximal interphalangeal joints of her fingers only briefly touched the side as she gripped the handle, but it was enough to feel the warmth of her favorite morning drink.

She slowly raised the cup towards her face and took a cautious sip of her hot chocolate. The intense heat caused her to immediately reel back.

It's a wonder I finish this every morning.

She steeled herself for another sip as her mother walked into the kitchen. Her eyes were glued to her phone as she walked to the coffee maker.

"Morning, Fuyu."

"Morning, Mom. Got anytime for interviews?"

"Not at all."

"Okay then. Need to convince Hiroko to choose another topic," Fuyu took another short sip from her cup. "Maybe some whip cream too."

"It's not that I want to stifle your friend's dreams."

"That would be against your profession."

"A bit more complicated than that," Kori replied as she casually sprayed whip cream over her drink. "But my schedule is a bit full."

"I can relate..." Fuyu said as she took a longer sip from her cup.

The moment she lowered the cup again-

"Rei!"

The sudden appearance of her adopted sister made her glad she swallowed before the shock hit her. She took a moment to catch her breath.

"Morning, Rei."

Rei silently raised her right hand and waved it. That was their usual morning greetings to each other. It started just after the finals before summer vacation.

She was surprised at first, but it felt nice to have some form of interaction with her sister that wasn't quiet stares. It eventually changed from just a morning greeting to just being Rei greeted people.

Lately, however, that usual greeting started having the opposite effect on her.

"Rei, already went to the other room."

Snapped out of her thoughts, Fuyu looked around. Like her mother said, Rei had already walked out of the room.

"Anything wrong, Fuyu?" Kori asked.

Her first instinct was to insist nothing was wrong, but she knew her mother would see right through that claim.

All Fuyu could think about was the inciting incident that started it all. It wasn't that long ago.

She could remember the cold breeze brushing against her face as she sat along the open window in her shared room.

It was for no other reason than to enjoy a moment's peace from her responsibilities. It was then when she heard someone approaching her home.

She looked down to realize it was Rei and Shujinkou.

"Here we are," he awkwardly said.

Rei simply stood next to the front door, silent and motionless. Fuyu thought her sister would wave goodbye, but she didn't.

"Um... I guess I'll see you later," Shujinkou waved goodbye and turned to leave before suddenly turning back around. "Oh wait!"

Fuyu watched Shujinkou dig into his pocket and present what looked like a white lily to her.

"They were giving this away at the botanical garden," he said. "I thought you would like it."

Rei slowly reached for the white lily and just as slowly brought it towards her chest.