The Absent Part 10

"So, she just agreed?"

Hiro answered with a single nod. She had already explained the events of last night to her mother already, but, at least to her, Hisa was still trying to wrap her head around it.

"Honestly, Natsuki seemed pretty tired of everything when I found her so... I do kind of wonder if she agreed just because she didn't want to argue over anything.," Hiro admitted.

"Hmm..." Hisa scratched her right cheek, contemplating what she just heard. "...And Natsuki pretty much confirmed our suspicions without directly saying it, right?"

Hiro answered with another singular nod.

"Hmm..."

When thinking back to all of Hisa's outbursts regarding Jomei, especially when it came to his relationship with Shujinkou and Hiroko, seeing her remain cautiously silent was quite surprising for Hiro to see.

Perhaps current events had softened her a bit. At the same time however, she didn't seem to want to be bothered.

Now seemed like it was best time to bring Natsuki her breakfast.

I wonder if she slept well last night.

Upon making it up the stairs, she spotted Natsuki stepping out of the guest room donned in her school uniform. Surprised by the sight, Hiro involuntarily called out to her.

"Huh? "Oh, morning," Natsuki's expression was a mix of well rested and embarrassment. Such a face in the morning was very reminiscent of Shujinkou.

"You're going to school?" Hiro asked.

Natsuki nodded her head and explained thusly, "It's not like I can afford to miss any more days with all the tests coming up."

It was an answer Hiro could accept, but still, she felt compelled to make a small plea. "Just don't push yourself too hard, okay?"

The sincerity in that simple request and the food obviously made for her made Natsuki's eyes swim in embarrassment.

"Uhm..."

There had been something that had been weighing on Natsuki's mind for a while now, but the events of yesterday convinced her that it had to be addressed.

"I... It's..." Natsuki shook her head and sighed. "...Thanks for letting me stay here again."

She felt a chill as Hiro just stared at her. It felt as if Hiro's normally gentle eyes were digging into her, trying to catch a glimpse of her innermost thoughts and feelings.

But those thoughts were soon melted away by Hiro's calming smile. "You don't need to thank me. I wanted you to come over, remember?"

"Still... Thanks," Natsuki bashfully looked away and scratched her right cheek. She really hoped the habit would go away when Shujinkou woke up.

"Ah, I'll pack your meal up in case you want it with lunch later." Hiro turned and returned downstairs.

Natsuki took a deep breath and glanced over her shoulder. Shujinkou's bedroom door was open, giving her a clear view of its sole occupant.

Before she realized it, she was standing before her slumbering friend.

"...I still can't really talk to you like this, you know? I know they say it's good talking to people when they're like this but still..."

She crossed her arms and considered her next words very carefully. There were so many things she wanted to say, but her heart wouldn't let her say it anything to him now.

"I just wish..."

That she could say more. It hurt, but she did find solace in the one thing she could manage to get out.