women are the devil

Rafael wasn't sure what it was about today that had him in such a bad mood. Maybe it was the sunlight peeking in through the curtains? Or the neighbour that wouldn't shut his fucking dogs at 2 in the morning.

Or maybe it was just another shitty day that he had to endure.

"Shut your fucking dogs!"

That was probably 5E, the pretty nurse from across the hall that had just moved into their complex. Rafael had wanted to tell her that it would get better, but he didn't have the heart to lie to her.

The tenant in 5D was a recluse, who loved his dogs more than himself, but really had no decency to shut his damn pets. From the high-pitched yips, he'd take a guess that it was a mean little chihuahua or whatever other types of small dogs with annoying barks existed.

It's not that he hated dogs, but Rafael was more of a goldfish type of guy.

There was something self-respecting about sleeping through the night and not having to wake up at the crack ass of dawn to take someone out to use the restroom. He didn't judge, but pets weren't his thing.

Besides, a pesky little voice in the back of his mind added, dogs make you think of Liliana.

There went the last few minutes of peace he'd get in bed.

Rafael sighed, kicking the sheets off the bed, and sat up. He stayed sitting for a few minutes, waiting for the room to stop spinning as he rubbed his eyes tiredly and then grunted when finally stood up.

His room looked disgusting, socks everywhere, clothes hanging over the chair in the corner and a few cans of beer scattered around the floor. He usually wasn't this messy, but his last assignment had been unexpected, had he not been trained to keep a travel-bag packed, he would have been stuck with what he had been wearing for the past two weeks.

He had just gotten back last night, hoping to get some sleep in his damn bed, but 5D and his damn dogs planned otherwise.

The military had trained him for no sleep, to sleep anywhere and after six years enlisted and nearly seven working for Gomez, he should have been used to it. But there was just something so inviting about his bed – it's why he didn't even bother to shower the night before.

He yanked his shirt over his head, pulled his belt off, and kicked his jeans off, to fall face-first into his pillows and attempt a restless dream. He managed to sleep for a few hours before 5D ruined it for him.

Rafael ran his fingers through his hair, stepping over his jeans as he made his way to the bathroom. He brushed his teeth and left the toothbrush hanging from the side of his mouth as he went over to turn the shower on.

For being such an expensive place, it really was shitty. He had to let the water run for a good 5 minutes before he could get in if he wanted to take a hot shower. Luckily he knew his way around a toolbox because the maintenance guy swore that there never was anything wrong.

It seemed that most of his rent just went to the owner to keep making his pockets get fatter instead of helping the complex look a little less like a cockroach-infested brick box.

The hot water going down his back felt great. He stood under the water, letting the tension in his shoulders roll away, down the drain, and pressed his hands against the tiled wall for support. Once the water started getting tepid, he shut it off and rubbed soap all over his body.

Usually, he tried to be a little more conscious of his effect on the environment, but after his last assignment, he figured standing under the hot spray of the shower was more than earned.