Epilogue: Lauren, One Month Later

She lay on her stomach, smiling, sleepy, giddy, enjoying the feeling of their lips on her back.

"The straight branch has five blossoms," she said. "The lower two are for my mom and dad. The upper three are for Joe and the kids. The ones on the branch going to the right are for Sunny and Tej."

"And the one branching off to the left?" Rachel asked.

"Those two are for you and Al."

"It's so beautiful," she said, and Lauren was surprised to hear emotion in Rachel's voice. Rachel kissed it in the very spot where Lauren knew their blossoms to be, and she felt tears when Rachel pressed her face into her back. "It's also incredibly sexy."

"I agree," Al said, and Lauren felt his lips there too. "When did you get it?"

"A couple of weeks ago," she replied. "Before that party, Joe asked me why I never got a tattoo, and he mentioned cherry blossoms for a motif. After what happened with Ralph that night, I realized that life was too short and, along with the counselling, I thought I would get one to help me heal. I thought the cherry blossoms would be perfect, honouring my Japanese heritage, and I thought it would be a nice tribute to everyone I love."

"It suits you," Al said. "The pink agrees with your skin tone."

"You've always looked good in pink," Rachel agreed. "That blouse you wore at the memorial and at the party, it's this kind of pink."

"Oh, you noticed that was the same blouse, huh? Shit."

"Who cares? I couldn't take my eyes off you at the party."

"I know. I wanted to take you in here and lock the door." They were in Rachel and Al's bedroom, spent from a marathon of lovemaking. They'd made sure to close the door to Samson this time, and Lauren felt a little sorry about that; the cat had proved crucial to the case against Ralph, and leaving him out seemed like a punishment instead of a reward.

Lauren couldn't remember being so tired, but it was a good tired. They had more time today than they'd had the first time the three of them had been together, so they had the luxury of just lying snuggled on the bed, all three of them, one on either side of her, and it was so lovely, and Lauren was so happy she could cry, but their kisses on her back prickled like the tattoo needle had in those hours on the table in the tattoo parlour, and it made her giggle instead.

She'd surprised Joe with the tattoo right after she'd gotten it, and it had aroused him so much that he'd been as energetic with her as he'd been pre-Joanie, making sure he didn't actually touch the area because it was wrapped in plastic wrap and still sore. It made her happy that he still wanted her, because it meant he wasn't going anywhere, and her marriage was secure, but she'd also wanted to show Rachel and Al as soon as she could and see their reaction. Finally, they had this opportunity, and they took every advantage.

"And yet you ended up making out with my husband," Rachel said.

"We were drugged, remember?" Al said.

"Uh-huh. I guess that was established. Tell me more of what happened while you were looking for us. After you woke up naked in this bed without any memory of what happened."

Al and Lauren traded off telling the story. When they were finished, Rachel said, "Those are the facts. Now tell me the feelings. Lauren, before that thing at the party, I had no indication that you were attracted to him. I knew you would have done her at the drop of a hat," Rachel said to Al.

"During those two days we looked for you, Al was a perfect gentleman," Lauren said.

"Yes, but I'll admit there were times when we were together those two days when I really wanted to kiss you," Al said.