xi. this is not how it ends

"This is a terrible idea. The closer we get the worse it becomes." Tewkesbury muttered, his eyes roaming over the estate he once called home. "Why are we doing this?"

"Unlike Octavia, and most well-bred ladies, I was never taught to embroider. I never molded wax roses, hemmed handkerchiefs, or strung seashells." She began, fire blazing in her eyes. "I was taught to watch and listen, to fight."

She turned around, a burning ember of pride and determination in her voice. "This is what I was made for."

"Inspiring speech, Enola." I said, picking up my skirt and walking towards the front door while sniggering. "But as you mentioned, this was certainly not what I was made for."

"You'll manage Octavia. If I recall, you made quite a burn when you swung that kettle over the inspector's head." She grinned, a glimmer of mischief in her eye.

"We need to do this. We need answers." She turned her eyes over to Tewkesbury, who sighed.

"If we die, I am so going to kill you." He rolled his eyes jokingly, before gulping at the door. He reached out to the door, hesitant to open it. But at his gentle touch, the door creaked open ever so slightly, revealing the hauntingly beautiful hall.

"It's unlocked..." Enola murmured, stepping into the grand mansion.

"Suspicious. Shouldn't we turn back?" I asked, eyes glancing at the plethora of shadows around us. "We've only just got you back, Enola. I wouldn't want to lose either of you once more."

"No one achieved anything without risk, Octavia." She replied, surveying the stationary armour on display. "And this...this is a risk we'll have to take."

"Mother?" Tewkesbury called out, his voice echoing into the massive hall. It was answered with silence.

"Where have all the servants gone?" He furrowed his brows.

"Welcome to the future." I sniggered, hands trailing on the gold details of the pillars.

We continued our careful walk up the hall, every sound of the night making my heart rate spike in fear.

"What's happening?" Tewkesbury whispered, opening the door to the next room, which contained dozens of metal, armoured knights lining the corridors. I froze, thinking they were human, before realising that they were just empty shells.

"They know we're here." Enola replied, prowling over the opulent items on display. She paused at a crystal ball, gazing intently at it's gleaming surface. Her eyes widened in horror as she spotted something in it's glassy reflection.

"Down!" She screamed, shoving all three of us under and onto the ground. Not a moment too soon, a thunderous gun shot was fired, and shards of the misty glass rained down on our heads. I paled, breathing frantically and knitted my hands through Tewkesbury's in fear.

Enola moved around, behind the pedestal where the once beautiful crystal ball sat. I followed, heart racing and eyes fearful. Multiple more gun shots rang out, flying so close they nearly grazed my skin.

"Run!" Enola scrambled to the front door as another shot flew at us. I followed behind, making sure Tewkesbury stayed in front of me. It's him they want after all.

"It's locked!" Tewkesbury hollered over the gun shots that pierced through the air.  One smashed into the armour of the still knight that stood right next to us. I gazed past the damaged metal, and stared right into the eyes of our attacker.