Chapter 24.

Rivers finds me sitting outside by the garden with a book in my hands. I had tried, unsuccessfully, to read J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series many times before, and for some reason thought that coming to New York would spark something inside me that would get me to finish the book. Now more than ever I was having a hard time getting past the first sentence.

Over and over, I read the sentence on the page in front of me. "Mr. and Mrs. Dursley of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

Yet over and over, I find myself getting distracted and having to read it again. "Mr. and Mrs. Dursley of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

I am interrupted at around my twentieth time reading the same sentence.

"Hey,"

I don't have to look up from the pages to know it's Rivers. His voice is etched in my mind, an oh-so familiar sound that I could pick out of any crowd.

"You don't want to talk to me, I know." he says solemnly.

I close the book, and turn around to face him. "You are actually the one person I want to talk to right now."

Rivers looks at his shoes as if they were suddenly very interesting. "I don't know what to say."

I sigh. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Rivers looks up, "I told you." He says, "You wouldn't want to know."

I walk to Rivers' side, "I told you," I say softly. "I want to know everything."

Rivers frowns, "I am scared that you will look at me differently now."

I shake my head, "Rivers Thomas," I say. "You are the same to me now and forever and you will always be. Your fathers actions do not define or reflect on you."

Rivers appears as if a huge weight has been lifted from off of his shoulders when I say this. He looks me in my eyes, "You are something else, Elijah Jude." He smiles, "How did I get so lucky?" He wraps his arms around me, holding me in his arms.

I can't help but to feel a little guilty. Telling Rivers that he can tell me anything, while I'm standing here with my greatest secret, unable to tell him about the voices.

"I promised I would show you my favorite place," He says, breaking away from the embrace.

I smile at him, "I'm ready for an adventure." I say.

"Grab a change of clothes and a blanket." He says, and starts walking towards the house.

A smile cracks on my lips, he never seizes to surprise me.