Chapter 26.

Rivers pulls off the road down a path that was covered by the trees. If you didn't already know where you were going, you would have surely missed it. He parks the black SUV and we each get out. I wipe my eyes and take in the beauty surrounding me. Ahead is an all natural waterfall, huge and flowing with clear water. I swear I could have drank the water. I turn to Rivers who is standing beside me with a large grin on his face.

"Welcome to Buttermilk Falls." He says with obvious pride. The waterfall is surrounded by trees and a path covered in fallen leaves.

Rivers takes my hand and I follow him to the fountain. We stop when we reach the calm waters below it. It moves in a steady stream, under the bridge and through the trees. We stand there in silence and watch the water as it flows. There was something very calming about watching that water.

I find my thoughts wandering to the stupid movie, Kung Fu Panda for some reason. I've only seen the movie once, but a quote from the old tortoise has always stuck with me. "Yesterday was history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift, that's why it's called the present."

I can't help but feel like today was the greatest gift I have ever received. It's as if every bit of bad luck I have ever had was finally paying off as I'm standing here with Rivers. His hand in mine, his thumb tracing mine with his soft touch. I tear my gaze away from the beautiful waters, and look at Rivers.

"You are amazing." I say to him.

He looks at me and smiles his heaven sent smile. "This place is amazing." He says. "And you haven't even seen it all yet."

He leads me towards the trail and we begin walking down it together, hand in hand, side by side. The trail goes behind the fountain and around a bunch more smaller fountains. Everything I was seeing was absolutely gorgeous. Even the Arizona sunsets couldn't compete. But walking down the path, looking at Rivers, I know the most breath taking part of this whole place was Rivers himself.

We reach the end of the trail, but Rivers keeps walking. Pushing tree branches out of his way and holding them for me to pass through. "Where are you taking me?"

"I told you, my favorite spot." Rivers says.

"The waterfall wasn't your favorite spot?" I ask him.

"Just you wait, Elijah." He says. I smile, and take his hand again.

We walk through the shrubbery, I, being led by Rivers who seemed to be following an invisible path. He knew exactly where he was going, despite our surroundings looking the exact same with every step we took.

After a few minutes, I find myself wondering how we will ever find our way back, when Rivers turns to the left and pushes aside branches. Behind the branches is a small cleared out area with a small pool of water. Steam rises from the pool, and Rivers walks over to it and starts taking off his shoes.

"This, Elijah Jude, is my favorite spot." He says.

"Wow." is all I could say. "How did you find this place?"

Rivers grins, "I have some secrets that will remain that way." He says mysteriously.

I follow him by taking off my shoes as well. Rivers takes off his shirt and then his shorts and is standing in his underwear. "Well don't stare." He says.

I rip my gaze away from him, suddenly feeling my face grow very warm. Rivers laughs, and steps into the pool. "Come on then." He says, motioning for me to get in.

I take off my shirt, suddenly very self conscious about my body, and then remove my shorts. I stand awkwardly in my boxers, not sure what to do.

"Get in, weirdo!" Rivers says.

I step in the water, expecting it to be cold despite the steam rising out of it. It is warm, hot even. Like a jacuzzi in the middle of butt fuck egypt. Rivers and I stand in the water, looking around at the trees and greenery that surrounded us.

"What do you think?" Rivers asks me.

"What do I think?" I repeat. "This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen."

Rivers grins. "You are the most amazing thing I have ever seen." He says.

I frown, "How could you so blatantly lie to me like that?"

Rivers laughs, "You're too hard on yourself, Elijah." He lifts his hand from the water and places it on my cheek. "I think you are amazing. The best part of my life."

My heart in my chest flutters. How could he say that? Rivers has everything. Surely I couldn't be the best part of his life.

I place my hand on his, stroking it with my fingers. "I wish things would stay this perfect forever." I tell him.

"Me too," he agrees. "Me too."

We sit in the hot pool of water for hours. Talking about anything and everything. In those precious moments, everything feels perfect. Like nothing could possibly go wrong when I was with Rivers.

Looking back, I wish I had known what I know now. Because whether or not I wanted to believe it, nothing could stay so perfect for me. That just wasn't something that would happen for Elijah Jude.