I Just Know that I Like You

Alright, this is my gift to you for the week. I've been inactive because this was my first week of finals with the second week starting tomorrow. This was intended as a parting gift, but suddenly my 3000 word one shot became a 10 000 short story so yeah. This is like a high-school AU, kind of, it still takes place in Republic city between the fall and winter, young Kyalin. Enjoy, Love yall, stay safe out there.

Lin nodded, pretending she understood what her friends were talking about.

"Okay, but Bumi... I'd do anything to get his attention." May-Ling said.

"Eww." Lin replied.

"What do you mean eww? He's a senior!"

"I know its just..  I know Bumi, he's a friend, kind of, and... thats you're type?" She asked. Bumi was a family friend, the typical class clown who never ran out of energy or things to say.

"Lin, don't tell me you haven't thought about it?" Jenna asked, looking at her nails. I haven't.

"I mean of course..  but long term?" May-Ling sighed, sliding closer to Lin.

"Not everything is about long term, Lin, live in the present a little. A quick hook up wouldn't hurt you. In fact, I think it'd do you greatly." Lin frowned, standing up and brushing herself off.

"I gotta get to class. I'll see you guys later."

"Okay!" The other girls giggled as she left, ignoring them. She went back inside the school, stopping to stare at the one person who always had her attention. Kya. The Junior who was an open lesbian. Coincedentally, also her best friends sister.

"Hey Lin!" Tenzin called, running up to her.

"Oh hey," she replied, snapping out of her trance.

"You feel ready for the history test? I studied so hard. Did you know-" the airbender went on but Lin was distracted, as Kya's laugh echoed in the hall. She was talking to a group of freshman, no doubt giving friendly advice. She's so good with people. Lin thought. As if the waterbender had read her mind, she made eye contact with Lin, smiling and offering a small wave. Lin blushed, waving back as she followed Tenzin to history. She wasn't going to be able to focus on her test today.

___________________________________________

"Toph and the girls are coming over for dinner tonight," Katara said, folding a towel. Kya raised an eyebrow, leaning against the counter.

"Lin too?" Her mother looked at her strangely, nodding.

"Yeah. Why?"

"Hmm. Nothing, just haven't talked to her in a while. Curios to see how she's doing." Katara nodded, she seemed like she had more to say, but she didn't.

"How was school?" She asked instead.

"Same old same old."

"Are those boys still-"

"No. It's fine. I got it all sorted out." Katara frowned, Kya wouldn't meet her gaze out of fear of her lie being caught.

"You want to help me make dinner?"

"And conform to gender norms?"

"Kya-"

"I'm kidding. I'd love too."

"Good, preheat the oven." Kya did as she was told, starting the water to a boil as well.  She helped her mother prepare a vegetarian dish for her father and Tenzin, her own belly rumbling at the smell of the salmon as soon as the meat dishes were put in. Her mind flickered briefly to Lin, who had smiled back at her in the hallway. It was nothing. She told herself. You're getting your hopes up again.