Before: Retention 7

Spencer’s at your desk while you watch him from the loveseat, eyes intent on where his hands are. He could shift position at any second and grab something he isn’t supposed to have.

But it seems like he’s only interested in that family photo. He has it in his hands, thumb grazing over the face of your past lover and son.

“You never told me how you guys met, you know,” Spencer finally says. “I can’t tell whether I’m supposed to hate them or feel bad.”

You let out a strained cough. “Well, I’m pretty sure it’s irrelevant. This should be about you, not me. I’m not the one in therapy.”

Spencer turns to you and smiles, still holding onto the picture frame. “That’s the thing, doc. I’m not in therapy. So I can ask all the questions I want.” When you don’t stir, he sighs. “Alright, let’s take a different route, then. How old were you when you met them?”

“Them?”

“The kid and your lover, of course. I mean, it’s pretty obvious he’s not yours. The kid doesn’t look like you at all, doc. It doesn’t take a genius to notice that.”

“He’s mine,” you say, but it sounds forced. “How dare you assume otherwise? He’s mine and always has been.”

Spencer falls silent, his eyes wide with surprise even though his smile leaks with amusement. After a while, he sets the picture frame down at the exact place he picked it from, yet doesn’t move an inch from the desk.

“Let me ask you something, doc,” he says slowly. “What was your son’s name? I just want to know.”

Your lips thin out into a tight line. “I don’t need to tell you that.”

“Why not?”

“I already told you. I don’t need to. Now enough talk about them. I’m not comfortable with you getting into my private life.”

“You don’t need to or you don’t want to? There’s a fine line between needing and wanting, doc, but it’s still there. Humans are just too stupid to see it.”

“If humans are so stupid, then what does that make you?”

He jumps on the desk then, sitting cross-legged on top of patient files and sticky notes. “You tell me,” he says, still holding that smile. “You’re the doctor.”