PROLOGUE

in absentia lucis, tenebris valet ; in the absence of light, darkness prevails

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

in absentia lucis, tenebris valet ; in the absence of light, darkness prevails

Luisa Calderon had left her family behind, because she had been told about a job offer. She had come to Britain because she thought she would be successful; she was talented, able to work, had spoken English for every single year of her life thanks to her mother and had been trained by her brothers on what to say in the interview.

And then she was working in a cafe, because the interview went to someone who actually grew up in that awfully cold country and she didn't want to tell her parents that she failed when they had been so happy to see her go, so proud to see what she could do. She couldn't go back, not then.

She met him, Oliver Lyre, at the cafe, and later would find out it was the only place he would frequent after work because it was so close to the entrance. But he was nice, and sweet, and agreed wholeheartedly that the fact she hadn't got the job was entirely criminal.

It took two months of him coming by, after work and in the mornings when he found out she was covering someone else's shift instead of just her usual, to ask her to go on a date. There was a nice restaurant, nearby, and she knew he had practically forced himself to ask her, painfully shy and down on his luck when it came to many people enjoying his company.

It seemed, soon enough, as though everything was working out for the better. She could call back to her family with good news; she had met a good man, she was settled in her tiny cardboard box of a flat and was looking for better jobs - because the other one just wasn't for her.

And everything was going well with Oliver. He was stressed by the job he had most definitely - and he was very vague about it all - and he was far more paranoid than she had suspected these days, but he was kind and gentle and helpful with everything he could in her life.

Eventually, just before he would propose, the secret weighing on his shoulders came to light. He  was a wizard, locked in a world conflicted with war and conflict and oppression against those who were not powerful, not wealthy, not pure. He was a worker within the Ministry of Magic, in the Auror department, and had been approached a man by the name of Alastor Moody, and soon enough he had joined a secret Order to help further their side, to try and take down this Voldemort guy. 

And Luisa accepted that, with an entire lack of understanding of what it truly meant. But that didn't matter, not when when he proposed and they moved into a bigger flat together and got married by the end of that year. She had a new job, a new family, and was more than happy to meet a few of these Order members as they dropped round the house to see her husband every now and again, whisking him away on a mission from which he would return with bruises and bandages around his cuts and injuries, drinking healing potions every now and again and reassuring her everything was okay.