Chapter 5

Kirsty did not have much opportunity to ponder the ramifications of her decision. She knew that she had been impulsive but she was not going to change her mind. She could only hope that Derek would not treat her unkindly. He did not seem the type to abuse women. She felt at a disadvantage because of her lack of experience. Despite her misgivings, Kirsty felt excited at the prospect of being in a new place and having the opportunity encounter new experiences. Besides, she had burned all her bridges and had no other place to go. She could not contemplate returning to her job, even if Mrs. Templer accepted an apology. She would never apologize to her former boss, anyway.

Kirsty arranged with her landlord to have her apartment sublet. he was not pleased with the suddenness of her departure, but she had paid him extra money in advance and he had no reason to complain.

It did not take Kirsty very long to pack her things. With dismay, she realized that Derek had been correct in his assessment of her wardrobe - she did have cheap-looking clothes. But they were all she had, and they would have to suffice.

When Derek picked her up the next day, he asked her what had made her decide to accept his offer.

"You were right," she replied humbly. "I could not stay at my job any longer." She told him about Mrs. Templer and the flowers. Her story made Derek laugh deeply for a long time.

"I knew you had spunk," he said, looking deep into her eyes.

Kirsty shrugged and looked out the window of the car.

"I was afraid I would become like Mrs. Templer," she explained, her fear coming through in the tone of her voice.

"I don't think you will ever have to worry about something like that," Derek replied. His tone was firm and implied that he knew something she did not.

He grasped her hand gently and said, "I'm glad you decided to come with me. You won't regret it."

Kirsty smiled wanly, feeling unsure of herself despite his assurances.

**********************************************

They flew to Vancouver in Derek's company jet. Kirsty was impressed by the comfort and luxury of the leather seats and first-class service. She wasn't afraid of flying even though she hadn't been on a plane more than twice. Derek chatted to her companionably, not minding her nervous silence. He told her about his estate, Thurston, and about some of the people who worked for him. As he spoke to her, Kirsty realized that she was entering a new world, one which would be quite unfamiliar to her.

When their plane landed and they were again in a limousine, Kirsty asked Derek how long it would take to get to his estate.

"About forty-five minutes," he replied, smiling at her.

Kirsty nodded, feeling anxious all of a sudden. There was no going back now. Her heart was pounding, making her feel strange and light-headed.

She tried not to look too curious as the limousine drove through the open gates of Derek's driveway. The gates were made of black wrought iron, with the letter "G" fashioned in the middle of them.

The driveway curved in a semi-circle and there were trees lining  the drive. Kirsty could see the house through the leaves of the trees. It looked quite ornate at a first glance. It was in a Tudor style and was the largest mansion she had ever seen.

When the limo stopped in front of the house, the chauffeur opened the door and they got out. Kirsty looked up at the house, noticing the architecture and the numerous windows.

Holding her hand, Derek led her toward the house.

"What do you think?" he asked.

"It's huge," she replied, her voice full of awe. She had only ever lived in cottage-type houses, never realizing how small they were in comparison to his place.