Chapter 16

When Kirsty regained consciousness, she did not know where she was. Her body felt as though it had been ripped apart and sewn back together. Her mind was fuzzy, as though she had been asleep for days instead of hours.

There was someone standing beside Kirsty's bed. It took a moment for her to focus on the white uniform. She tried to say something, but her throat was too dry.

"Don't try to talk," the nurse said, lifting Kirsty's arm. "I'll bring you some water in a minute." After the nurse took Kirsty's pulse, she went for some water.

Kirsty's mind became slowly flooded with reality. She was in great pain, but her agony was dulled by something deeper, something she had forgotten.

The nurse returned and slowly tipped a glass to Kirsty's lips. Swallowing was difficult, but the liquid soothed her burning throat.

"I'm in the hospital, aren't I?" she whispered weakly, her voice rasping.

"Yes," the nurse answered. "You were in a car accident. Do you remember?"

Kirsty moaned and brought her hand to her forehead. It felt hot.

"I'm sore everywhere," she moaned, afraid to move any other parts of her body.

"That's understandable," the nurse replied, patting Kirsty's hand gently. "It's a miracle that none of your bones were broken."

Kirsty detected a hidden note in the nurse's voice.

"There's something you're not telling me," she accused, her voice rising slightly.

"The doctor will be with you shortly," the nurse replied with a smile, then she left the room.

Kirsty sighed inwardly. She was struggling to remember something, but the effort was giving her a headache.

Finally, the doctor came. He had a quick, efficient manner about him and he smiled paternally at Kirsty when he came to her bedside.

"Good afternoon, Miss McLaren. I'm Doctor Hill." He shone a bright light in her pupils, talking gently all the while.

"Hello," she said weakly.

"You were pretty banged up when you were brought here," he said, looking at her chart. "I assume you are feeling bruised?"

"That's an understatement," Kirsty replied sarcastically.

The doctor chuckled.

"I agree. Most car accident victims feel soreness in their joints and muscles for days, sometimes weeks after an accident."

"My stomach hurts the most," she said, feeling a penetrating ache in her abdomen.

"That's to be expected," the doctor replied, a serious tone in his voice. "It's a good thing your air bag deployed, otherwise you would be in worse shape." He sat down on the edge of Kirsty's bed and took her hand. The contact worried her more than reassured her.

"Do you remember anything about the accident, anything that happened before or after?" he asked patiently. "Take your time answering."

Kirsty struggled to answer the doctor's question. Images floated to her head. She had gone to a movie, she remembered that. She could even remember the title of the movie.

"Do you remember driving home?" Doctor Hill asked.

"Yes, partly," Kirsty answered. "That's where my memory seems the cloudiest. All of a sudden there were headlights in front of me. Then something slammed into my stomach and I blacked out."

"Do you remember anything else?" he asked, taking notes.

"There is something at the back of my mind, but I just can't think of what it is." A note of panic had come to her voice.