Braces

(3rd person POV)

                It was a Saturday afternoon, and Cato was seated on Clove's couch discussing football with Mr Kentwell.  The door then creaked open and in came a disgruntled Clove with her mother not far behind.  Everybody looked up at her arrival, even her brother who, until this moment, had been playing on some kind of game console.  

               "So, let's see your braces!" Her father said, smiling a bit.

                "No..." Clove whined.

                "C'mon..."

                 "Fine..." she gave a fake smile, showing off her new braces.

                 "Ha!  You look like a nerd!" Her brother laughed, pointing at a now glowering Clove.

                  "Marcus!" Their mother hissed, giving him a pointed look.

                   Cato came up behind Clove and wrapped his arms around her shoulders, resting his chin on the top of her head.  "I think you look cute."

                    Clove looked up at him, her eyebrows raised, "you think everything I do is cute."

                     "Is it a bad thing for your boyfriend to think you're cute?"

                      Clove thought for a moment, "no."

                    Cato laughed as they both sat down on the couch.  

                    Clove moaned and put her head on Cato's shoulder.  "My face hurts."  She complained, scrunching up her nose.

                    "It's a good thing I brought you ice cream then.  It'll numb your mouth."

                      "Is it cookies and cream or strawberry?"

                      "Both."

                      "You're the best."  Clove mumbled, curling closer into Cato's side.

                     "I know I am."  He laughed, draping his arm over her shoulders. 

                       "Can we watch a movie on my laptop?" She asked him.

                       "Sure.  But I'm hungry, so let's get ice cream first."

                        "Fine by me."  She turned to her mother as the two stood up. "We'll be in my room."

                        "Just don't close the door.  You two know what I'm comfortable with." 

                       Clove rolled her eyes. "Yes, mother."

                       The couple made their way into the kitchen and then up the stairs with two heaping bowls of ice cream.  Once they reached Clove's bedroom, Clove seized her computer and threw herself down on her bed.  

                        "Alright, Divergent, Harry Potter, Fault in Our Stars, Maze Runner, or Five Feet Apart?"

                        "I don't know..." Cato shrugged.

                        "Ok, so either, epic, an eight movie investment where you'll be here all night, super sad, weird, or medical?"

                          Cato thought it over for a moment. "I guess...epic?  Unless you want a good old cry on my shoulder." He grinned at the furious look on Clove's face.

                         She glared at him. "A good old cry? When was the last time you saw me cry?"

                         "When you were eleven and fell off the monkey bars."

                         Clove gave an exasperated sigh. "I broke my arm!  Did you expect me to laugh?!  Ok, what other time?"

                         Cato started to count on his fingers. "When you were nine and there was a tornado warning in school, when you were seven and fell off your bike, and when you were five and I stole your crayons."

                        "Four times in fifteen years?" Clove shook her head at him. "So are we watching Divergent?"

                        Cato laughed. "Sure."

                         Clove loaded the movie and scooted closer to Cato.  She pulled a fuzzy red blanket over their shoulders and took a bite of ice cream.  Cato looked over at her and smiled.

                         "You've got a little something, right here." He brushed his thumb against her lip, wiping away a tiny spot of strawberry.  He moved his hand to her cheek with a grin.  Clove smiled back at him as he caressed her cheek.  Cato wasn't great at being subtle, as obviously shown when he stared at Clove's lips, clearly asking permission to claim them with his.  She stared back defiantly.

                         "Ugh!  Why is your grin so damn cute?"  She sighed in defeat, rolling her eyes.  "It gets me every time!"

                         "That's what I was going for." He teased, leaning down to press his lips into hers.  She leaned into the embrace, lightly placing her hand on Cato's chest.  She was the one to pull away, her nose wrinkled and a frown growing on her lips.  

                          "What?  You disappointed in my kissing skills?"  He asked her, half kidding.

                          "No...it's my braces." She grumbled. "I hate this..."

                           "Being in pain?  Or not being able to kiss me?"

                            "Both..."

                            Cato wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her so close that she was practically sitting on his lap.  "Well, if you don't have my lips, at least you have my arms."

                            "You did not just say that!" Clove scoffed, breaking into laughter. "You're so cheesy..."

                            "You love me for it." He taunted, playing with a strand of her hair.

                            "I guess I do..." She muttered.

                             "Oh!  Did I just get the Clove Kentwell to admit she loves me?" He faked shock, putting a hand to his chest as if he were having a heart attack.

                             "Well...you must have misunderstood me." Clove smirked. " My braces..."