Author's Notes

As always, thank you, awesome reader, for stopping by!

Sorry for the long A/N, but please bear with me. I'll only write this one massive one and leave you guys alone for the rest of the story.

WARNING: This is not my usual fluff.

Before you get invested in this story, I just wanted to let you know that I'm trying something new this time. It's not pure fluff but it's not pure angst, either. There are still a lot of lighter moments like in my other stories, but this one uses the hurt-comfort trope and explores heavier themes.

Some triggers: canon-typical violence, parental death, trauma, PTSD, implied sexual assault (in later chapters). Oh, and lots of cursing.

I just want to cover my bases and not disappoint as many people as I can by stating upfront what this story is about, especially since this is my first time writing angst.

This story diverges from canon so some events have obviously changed. Characters are not their usual selves: a not so goofy Naruto with social graces; an emotionally stable Sasuke (gasp!); a responsible Jiraiya; an alive and doting Itachi; an undead, supportive Neji; and a quiet, but non-shy Hinata who doesn't try to change her fate.

There's still some comedy, but I've toned down the humor—I think. But with Jiraiya in it, I just couldn't resist :)

The story is structured into three parts: Naruto's childhood, then Hinata's, and finally the two of them together as adults. She doesn't even come into the story in Part 1. They barely interact in Part 2 (starts in Chapter 7) and this is the part where it gets really dark and heavy for Hinata. If you're only interested in their romance, it all starts in Part 3 (starts in Chapter 12). Technically, you can just jump into the love story at the last part. I wrote it so that you wouldn't need to read their backstories. The earlier chapters are about character building to show why they become the adults they are.

Let me know what you think at any time, especially if things are unclear or confusing. What's clear for me might not be for you. Chances are, you're not the only one, and you'll be doing me a huge and wonderful favor by pointing out any mistakes I've made. Plus, I have no idea what I'm doing, so it makes me nervous to see what you guys think of this story.

Lastly, I'm just going to slip this dedication in here: on a very cheesy and deeply personal level, this is for my beautiful husband, who inspired this story. And who has heard "Can't talk right now, I'm writing!" so many times from me these last few months :p

Thank you!

Here we go...