Chapter 17: Dancing

Shingen lifted up a questioning brow at Neji when he led Naruto to the seats in front of the stage. Neji, however, ignored his grandfather and didn't do the introductions or stop to talk to him. Instead, he instructed Naruto to sit next to Hanabi.

Hizashi grinned at him. "Glad you could join us, Naruto!"

Meanwhile, Hiashi Hyuuga only nodded at him when Naruto had greeted Hinata's father.

Surrounded by her family, he felt the difference between his and hers. As before, when he'd first set foot in their home, he noticed again the contrast between the warmth of the Uchihas and the polite coolness of the Hyuugas. Though her father was not necessarily cold, he was not openly friendly like his younger twin.

Her grandfather, though, made his skin crawl. There was avarice and greed, obvious in the speculative way he eyed Naruto. Shingen's eyes were assessing as he slid his gaze between his grandchildren and this son of a Hokage. Naruto could tell he was thinking of ways to milk this connection between him and the younger generation of Hyuugas.

But all thought faded when a hush suddenly gathered and everyone's attention focused on the stage.

Darkness exploded as the lights suddenly cut off.

The slow, haunting wail of a shakuhachi flute pierced the night, eerie in the blackness. Then the flames of the torches that surrounded the stage flared up, bathing the still figure in the middle of the floor in sudden light.

From her bowed position, Hinata slowly stood up, wearing a dark kimono embroidered with silver cranes. The silver threads picked up the reflection of the lights and she gave one careful twirl, hands holding paper fans up in the air, only to slash the air with a downward motion.

Then shamisen strings strummed a rhythm, joined the flute and the slow beat of a taiko drum. She twirled again, a graceful circle, her kimono sleeves flaring behind her as she lifted a foot off the stage and paused for a moment.

Naruto's breath caught as she stopped and tilted up her head slowly, then she was flying again as all the sounds combined and gradually built. It caused her to speed up the dance, making her move from one edge of the stage to the other. Hinata's tabi-covered feet shuffled quickly then slowly as she turned and leapt up into the air gracefully, landing with force and exactness on the stage.

Naruto watched, enthralled, as she twisted her body, lifted the fans up to the air in fluid, exquisite movements.

Just as he did when they'd been in Isetan, he saw clearly how much she loved doing this. It was in the way she moved her body, the practiced and stylized motions so part of her being that she didn't waver from her precision.

But unlike the sensual dance those months ago at the festival, this dance demanded more concentration and control. Yes, Hinata was dancing, but he could see her thinking about the next steps, moving her body nimbly, interpreting the music and its story.

It was difficult and exacting, but like everything, she made it all look effortless and elegant.

Hinata was magnificent.

And he wasn't the only one who thought so.

Beside him, Hanabi was whispering, "Onee-chan," in a hushed, admiring voice. Neji's mouth was lifted upward into a curved line, his face full of affection. Hinata's father and her uncle were sitting side by side watching her dance with identical indulgent smiles.

Hinata, the pride of the Hyuugas.

***

He waited for his turn until all her relatives had congratulated her.