Chapter Seven - Could This Be Happiness?

Gently knocking on her chamber's door, Simon prayed she would not turn them away.

"Who goes there?" Lady Danbury called, already assuming it to be the eldest Basset coming to grovel to his upset sister.

"Tis me, Simon" he says praying Jen could find it in her to forgive him. Even through closed doors he could hear Jen huff at the sound of his voice and he knew she was not going to forgive easily.

"Go away Simon. I wish not to see you. Not now, not ever" she said in a strained voice that nearly killed him on the spot.

"Very well dear sister, but I have brought something for you"

"Whatever you bought as a form of bribery brother you can simply return, for I want nothing from you ever" she huffed with distain at the fact he thought he could buy her affection once more.

"Even if that something is me?" Anthony questioned from beside the Duke, hoping she would not turn him away as she had just done to her brother.

At the sound of his voice she leapt out of the embrace Lady Danbury had been comforting her in only moments ago and swung the doors open, revealing her brother and her beloved.

She leapt straight into his arms, for fear he would leave her and disappear forever once more. Anthony however secured his arms around her vowing to himself never to let her go again.

"Please do not leave me" she pleaded in a whisper only audible to him and her brother.

"I have no intentions of it my dear" he mumbled into her hair, savouring the fact she was in his arms, where she belonged, at long last.

Turning her head to the right and slowly opening one eye she sees her brother staring at the two of them with a look of, what is it? Apprehension, no... anger? No. Oh my, it was a look of joy and happiness, something her brother done once every hundred years.

"Thank you" she whispered to her brother, who simply nodded in response. "Do not take this as forgiveness brother, as we are far from that, but it is a most favourable start" she stated and looked straight into the deep chocolate brown eyes of her beloved.

Her statement causing a chuckle to emerge from not only her brother, but from Anthony and Lady Danbury, who had yet to make a comment on the situation, which was rather unlike her.

"Agreed Basset, forgiveness may come in time, but not quite yet" Anthony stated sparing a quick glance at the Duke before returning to look at Jens face, taking in the features he missed ever so much.

"Understood Bridgerton, and Jen please know I am truly sorry. I hope one day you shall be able to forgive me completely. Until then, you know where to find me if you shall need me" he said while taking his leave towards his study.

"Not to ruin the moment, but it is getting rather late. Jenifer I shall see you in the morning, Bridgerton, take care and do not think of hurting her or else I shall have you hung, understood?" she questioned, staring straight into the man's very sole.

With a big gulp and a nod of the head, all he can muster up is a feeble "Yes Lady Danbury"

"Excellent! Farewell children" she exclaims as she takes her leave out of the Hastings home.

Once she is out of sight Jen let out a giggle that she did not think would come out as loudly as it did.

"And what, pray tell, is ever so funny my dear?" Anthony questioned with the quirk of an eyebrow, happy to hear her laugh once more.

"Nothing, it must have been your imagination Bridgerton, for I did not laugh" she stated, trying her upmost not to laugh again and continue this façade.

"Oh really? That is strange, I swore I heard you laugh" he said with a devilish smirk, slowly approaching her.

"That is ever so strange Bri- ahh!" she screamed as Anthony started his assault of tickles on her stomach causing her to burst into a fit of laughter.

"Are you sure you were not laughing my dear?" he questioned, giving her a moment to catch her breath.

"I have missed you Anthony" she said just above a whisper, any quieter and he would not have heard her

"And I, you" he said back right before he crashed their lips together.

Neither thought this day would come, but now that it has, it was a million times better than they expected it to be.

From down the hall Simon could hear the joyous laughter coming from his sister and friend. He knew he had done the right thing by getting Bridgerton to come with him. He knew he could rest easy that night as Jen was on her way to happiness once more and he hoped in turn, her journey to forgiving him for his previous actions.