42: Forbidden Encounter at Hogwarts Grounds

Cassiopeia's day began with a series of questions from her friends at breakfast. Blaise, noticing her frequent yawns, asked, "At what time did you sleep, Cassie?"

Pansy chimed in, "I saw you getting to bed, nearly four in the morning." Cassiopeia accidentally dropped her fork at this revelation, creating a brief moment of attention from the other students.

Pansy, unfazed, explained, "I woke up when you opened the door." Cassiopeia breathed a sigh of relief, realizing Pansy hadn't seen more than that. She picked up her fork and resumed eating.

Draco, ever observant, said, "You didn't answer his question."

Cassiopeia offered an explanation, "I fell asleep in the Common Room, so when I woke up, I quickly came back to the dorm. I didn't notice it was four in the morning, honestly." Her friends nodded in understanding.

Suddenly, Cassiopeia felt a burning sensation on the back of her left hand. She glanced at it to find her scar had vanished. Draco, holding his wand, had healed it. Grateful, she thanked him, but he didn't acknowledge her.

"Asshole," Cassiopeia muttered as she reached for one of Draco's sandwiches.

Draco, looking puzzled, asked, "What the hell?"

"Or you have a mouth, I never thought," she retorted with an ironic smile. Blaise and Pansy laughed at their banter.

"You are really annoying," Draco grumbled while finishing his food.

"I told ya once, I was born to be that way," Cassiopeia grinned as Draco shook his head in disbelief. She quickly left the table to meet Professor Dumbledore and hand over the fake diary.

As she approached Dumbledore's office, she knocked twice before hearing his voice, "Come in." Entering, she saw the headmaster with his back turned, deep in thought. She cleared her throat and announced her purpose.

"Professor, I came to give the diary," Cassiopeia said as she extended the fake diary. To her surprise, Dumbledore stashed it in a drawer without a glance, preoccupied with his own concerns.

"You can come later, Cassiopeia," Dumbledore replied, still not looking at her. She nodded and left the office.

Rushing to her next class, Cassiopeia ran into someone who grabbed her arm, pushing her against the stone wall.

"What the heck..." she started, but a hand covered her mouth, muffling her words.

"Shh, okay?" the person said. Cassiopeia's eyes widened as she realized it was Tom Riddle. She hadn't expected him to be sneaking around the castle like this.

"Are you really out of your mind?" She hissed as she shoved his hand away.

"Do you think I'm that stupid?" Tom raised an eyebrow at her and led her to a secluded corner where they wouldn't be noticed.

Tom Riddle's questions cut straight to the point, leaving Cassiopeia feeling a lack of trust. She couldn't believe he was questioning her actions.

"Saw you were going to Dumbledore's office holding a diary?" he inquired.

"Stalking, are we?" Cassiopeia responded with a smirk. She was bemused by his seriousness. "Alright, I thought you saw how I made a fake diary when you went into my mind."

"I didn't see everything, silly. I did what I wanted only," Tom explained. He leaned in, creating a close, somewhat uncomfortable proximity. "I watched everything about your dreams and about Horcruxes."

"Respecting my privacy, thank you?" she said sarcastically, still avoiding eye contact.

"Answer to my question, Cassie," he demanded, using her nickname.

"Don't call me Cassie; we aren't that close," she retorted, her gaze now focused behind him. The close encounter was making her uneasy.

Tom chuckled and shook his head. "I transfigured one of my books into your damaged diary; it's a fake one. Happy now?"

"What if he found out? The old git is not that stupid to identify it," Tom inquired, casually referring to Dumbledore by a derogatory name.

"He has a name, and it's Albus Dumbledore," Cassiopeia corrected. Tom rolled his eyes at her, and she turned away, irritated by his casual reference.

Cassiopeia decided to leave for Divination, but Tom blocked her path. Frustrated, she asked, "What now?"

Tom's question was direct. "When do we meet again?"

Cassiopeia replied, "You told me to write it in the diary, so I'll do that."

Tom, however, was impatient. "I'm not a patient person, you know?"

Cassiopeia sighed. "Sorry, I didn't know, but I can see now."

Tom added, "Room of Requirement." Cassiopeia was surprised by his choice.

"Where?" she asked. Tom couldn't hide his confusion.

"Haven't you been there, really?" Cassiopeia shook her head.

"Tell me quickly, I've got to go, Tom," she said, feeling pressed for time.

"Seventh Floor, left corridor, come after dinner. Just think about your need for something, and the doors will appear," he instructed. Cassiopeia nodded and tried to leave, but Tom's hands were still in her way.

"Wait, another thing," Tom said. Cassiopeia, now thoroughly annoyed, facepalmed.

"What on Merlin's beard, again?" she asked in exasperation.

"Sorry, but I cannot control myself anymore," Tom stated. Cassiopeia's brows knitted as she looked at him in bewilderment.

"What?" she managed to say before he kissed her. She gasped in surprise, her eyes wide, unable to close them.

Their lips met, and a wave of sensations coursed through Cassiopeia's body. The kiss was slow, deliberate, and sent a strange feeling coursing through her abdomen. She forgot that she had a class to attend and dropped her books on the floor, allowing her hands to tangle in Tom's hair.

As he slowly pulled away, their eyes met, and the emotions in his eyes were entirely new to Cassiopeia. His hand tenderly caressed her cheek, and he gave her a kiss on her forehead.

"Run, you have Divination class," he advised with a smile before disappearing, leaving Cassiopeia dumbfounded in the corner.

"What the hell had just happened?" she wondered, still reeling from the unexpected encounter.