Chapter 15 ∞ REEVE

"Reeve," Daire says, motioning toward the approaching delta. His brown hair is worn long today, pulled back from his face with a thin leather band. He greets us with friendly dark blue eyes and an affable grin. "Good morning," he says, then bows. "If you're both ready, I'll lead you to Alpha Nivi. It's a few hours' hike from here. You'll be staying in our pack guest cottage and will have full use of our land and food. Whatever you need, just let me know. I'm here to make sure your stay with us is as pleasant as possible."

"Thank you, Delta." He accepts my thanks with a gracious bow and waves us to follow.

Daire's at my side as we trail our guide, and we feel like a formidable team. Is this what the future could look like? The thought hits me like a far off, impossible dream. But what if I actually did it? What if I fully lead and ask Daire to reconsider committing to me? What would my father think while stepping aside for me?

Nerves churn in my stomach, though I'm not certain it's strictly out of fear anymore; there are fissures of hope mixed in. Excitement. A spark of astonishment at the thought that maybe I can do this as long as this vampyre is here to help me, which is something I've never had before. A true confidant. A peer supporter. An equal.

Within four hours, we reach a small wood cabin overlooking a massive blue lake—an idyllic roll of waves against white rocky shores. I've never seen this side of Lake Migan before. The southern tip reaches the communal lands just beyond the northeast edge of our pack land where traders ship food, mercantile, and other goods up to packs like the Diamonds and Glacier Ridge.

"This is your cottage for your stay here," Kassel says, pushing open the door and extending a hand for us to make our way past him.

"It's beautiful," Daire says as he steps inside and gazes out a large picture window.

"Glad you like it. The lake is cold but tolerable this time of year if you want to get in. And this cabin will give you good views of sunset," he says, pointing out a few other perks: a kettle for tea, a small cooler for food, and a closet of fishing gear. "I'll let you get settled. This trail out front will lead you to the main pack home. I'm going there now and will meet you as soon as you're ready."

"Thank you, Delta," I reply.

There are two bedrooms, and I hesitate. What if he and I were to let our guards down while we're here? What if we allowed ourselves to open up, to trust, to just be, and see what happens? I want it with an urgent sort of ferocity. I need it; I need to know him before I lose him.

I slide past his muscular frame and drop our bags into the same room, causing him to raise an eyebrow. There's desire burgeoning in his eyes and lacing his scent as I give him a hot once over. "We're just getting started, vampyre."

His pale cheeks emblazon red. I run a finger down the length of Daire's neck and hear his breath catch, which inspires me to lean in close to his ear and breathe him in. Was the rare raw spark of connection last night a fluke? Did it feel like more because of him drinking my blood? Will each time with him feel like uncovering truth? I need to know if last night's passion was real or some strange vampyre effect triggered by his bite.

"I'm not sure this is what he meant by us getting settled in." He teases though his voice hitches.

I drop my hand to his hardening cock. "Seems like you could already use a dip in the cold lake."

The vampyre laughs quietly. "Does it?"

I grin against his skin then suck in a sharp breath as he begins to stroke me slowly on top of my pants. He flicks his tongue out to trace the edge of my lower lip, featherlight, and my tongue meets his in soft brushes until our mouths fully press together, and I kiss him as if I could consume him.