Chapter 26 ∞ DAIRE

Reeve and I disembark from the Mavis' ferry onto our pack's beach. I'm not a full step onto the sand when I spy Peter through the dark morning, his shadow unmistakable after years of memorizing every piece of him.

I cock my head in his direction and say to Reeve, "I'll be up in a minute."

He nods in understanding and disappears along the trail toward the main pack home.

Peter doesn't acknowledge me as I take a seat beside him and mirror his position: knees tucked to his chest, facing the sea.

"How long have you been out here?"

"Since Reeve left. I wasn't sure when you'd be getting back."

"Are you okay after everything?"

He's rubbing his lucky stone in his fingers. "Yeah. You look better."

"You seem—"

"I'm fine. Let's go end this prick."

"There's something I need to do before the wolves reach the coven. You and Iso will travel ahead with me. The wolves will travel with Reeve, Rainer, Delta Banks, and Mavis and meet us there."

"What do you have to do?" He pauses in messing with his stone.

"It's better if I show you once we get there."

"You have a secret you haven't told me about, Prince?"

I pat his shoulder. "Always."

∞  ∞  ∞

Armed with my weapons bag, I step out of the clinic and take a moment to absorb my surroundings. The difference I feel in leaving this land after less than a quarter year compared to when I left my coven after growing up there is unmistakable. I'll miss my life here. I'll miss the rituals and the comfort of my work station. I'll miss the trainings and the family meals. It's strange to know that I'll be missed as well.

Reeve greets me out front of his house with an affectionate grin and tight embrace. "Be careful."

"We will." I kiss him, long and hard.

Then he pecks my cheek and says, "We'll be there as soon as we can."

"Be safe." I pull away and take a lasting look around and a filling inhale.

"Hey, Warder," Reeve calls, "you better not be planning anything reckless like trying to confront the king by yourselves before we get there."

I grin at his stern expression. "Me? I would never." A laugh escapes me, drawing his frown down further.

"I mean it, Daire."

"Oh, I know you do, Lucky."

"Why are you so frustrating? Promise me that you're not going to do anything."

We're definitely going to wait on Reeve and his back up, but it's too fun to watch him get worked up. I blow him a kiss and turn to where Peter and Iso await me.

"Daire!"

I grin and holler back to him, "You're going to miss me these next few days, Lucky."

"Like a hole in the head," he mutters.

∞  ∞  ∞

"What are we doing here?" Peter asks, peering over a ledge alongside me, timing the patrols of the distant vampyre guards.

"Consider it a back-up plan."

"I'm not going to consider it anything until you tell me what the hell we're doing."