Ch. 2

I looked around, my eyes wide in amazement as I took in the campus.

All around me, there were kids talking and laughing together, there were fairies flying around, shape-shifters messing around in their animal forms, and people with water magic creating dolphins in the water fountain. 

It was amazing. The huge castle that was the school, and the little village behind it that were the student dorms. And especially, no one was looking at me in fear or hatred. If people noticed me they smiled and waved. 

"Mr. Griffin, welcome!"

I turned around and saw Ms. Cassiopea herself right there!

I smiled at her nervously, "Thank you Ms. Cassiopea, but um... could you please not use my last name?"

She smiled, seeming to understand, "Of course, Arion. How was your trip here? I hope everything went smoothly."

I nodded, "It was good. It was my first time in an airplane."

She smiled, "You'll have a chance to try lots of new things here. Let me take you to my office where I'll give you your rooming information and everything and then my daughter will give you a tour."

I smiled and followed her.

The castle looked even bigger from the inside.

"So how do you like the school so far?"

I smiled widely, "It's so cool. I've never seen this many magical creatures in one place before."

She nodded, "There are many here who said the same thing when they first enrolled. You'll get to know all the different creatures and magics here, and you'll meet some great people who will be your friends for a lifetime. Or longer if you're an immortal creature."

After walking for a bit we got to her office and Cassia was already there.

"Arion, how nice to meet you."

I smiled, "Nice to meet you too, Ms. Cassia."

She giggled, "Oh come now, I'm not that old. You can just call me Cassia. You'll find that at this school, everyone calls everyone by their first name or nickname. Even teachers."

"Oh... I didn't know that."

Cassiopea smiled as she sat down at her desk, "That's alright, you'll figure everything out with time. Please, have a seat."

I nodded and sat down across from them.

"So before we get into the nitty-gritty, do you have any questions or comments?"

"Um, yes... one of each."

"Go ahead."

"Um, am I the only..." I stopped to make sure no one else was in the room, "dark energy manipulator here?"

Cassiopea nodded, "Yes. Believe it or not, most people with your magic do not want their children to learn about the magical world. I'm glad your parents had an open mind."

I nodded nervously.

The only reason they let me come was so I could act as a spy of some sort.

At least I was there though.

"Um and could we please keep it a secret what family I'm from and what my powers are?"

"Of course, but may I ask why?" Cassia said.

"Um... usually when people know those two facts they get scared of me and run away. Yes, usually they are normal humans but I don't want to be isolated here. I really want to make friends."

Cassiopea nodded, "I understand, Arion. We will respect your wishes and keep it a secret. We are the only people that know on this whole campus and it will stay that way."

I smiled lightly, "Thank you."

**

"And this is where you will be living. You do have a roommate, his name is Finn. Classes will end in around an hour so you will probably meet him then."

I nodded, making sure no one besides Cassia was looking and then I pulled my luggage out of the darkness of the closet.

She smiled, "Do you have everything you need?"

"Yeah. Um is it alright if occasionally I go see my parents? I'll only do it during free time or on weekends."

"Of course! I understand you'll get homesick. We allow all of our students to go visit their parents if they have an easy way to see them, like teleportation, or if they live close."

"Thank you."

"No problem! Well, I better get going. Feel free to roam around campus. You will start classes tomorrow, and your roommate is in your grade so he will be able to help you get around."

I waved to her as she left. Then I sat on my bed and looked around.

I still couldn't believe I was there. I also couldn't believe I rode in an airplane there. I could have gone through the darkness but I wanted to go in a different way. I was surprised my parents said yes. When I visited them the one time every week though I was just going to travel through the darkness.

**

"Hi, you must be my new roommate!"

I smiled awkwardly as I walked into the room and closed the door behind me, "Hi."

He stood up and held his hand out to me, "I'm Finn Ellis, I hope we can get along!"

I shook his hand, "I'm Arion, me too."

He smiled and sat back on his bed, "So where are you from?"

I sat down on my bed across from his, "New York. You?"

"Wisconsin. Do you live in the city?"

I nodded, "Yeah, my whole life."

He smiled, "That's so cool. I've wanted to go to New York City but I'm a country boy at heart, it'd be too busy for me."

I smiled lightly, "It's not much busier than here. From what I've seen anyway. Although New Yorkers are usually rude."

He shrugged, "Oh well. So how old are you?"

"Sixteen."

"Same, we're in the same classes then."

"Really?"

"Yeah, we're the same age so in the same grade. The classrooms here are huge and can be made bigger with magic so each grade is a whole class."

"Wow."

He laughed, "Yeah it's a lot to get used to."

"When did you first come here?"

"Since I started high school. This school accepts kids in grade six and up but I didn't know about it till ninth grade. My mom is a normal human and my dad and I both suck with electronics so it took a letter in the mail to inform us." He ended off with a laugh.

I smiled.

Finn seemed really nice, I was gonna like having him as a roommate.

"So what magical being are you?"

I cleared my throat awkwardly, "Um what being are you?"

He smiled, "I'm an arkan sonney shifter."

"What's that?"

He laughed, "You don't know what that is?"

I shook my head, "I used to go to a mostly human school and my parents don't educate me on magical beings. I only know like fairies, vampires, werewolves... the basic creatures you read about in books."

"Well, you're in for a treat!"

I didn't have a chance to ask him what he meant before he suddenly shifted before my eyes.

I smiled when I saw his form, "A hedgehog?"

"Yup!" He said in a slightly higher voice, "Arkan sonneys are basically humanoid hedgehogs."

He shifted back.

"That's cool."

"Thanks!"