59. "Breaking point"

Volleyball

Volleyball. One of the many sports that I knew nothing about but have been coming to support my best friend. The crowd loved Brooklyn, and the commentators couldn't get enough of her. It surprised me that she was so good and how viciously she served the ball. That's probably the only volleyball term that I know of.

Gael, Noah, and I shared a row on the bench, but they were so into the game to speak. I saw Brooke's parents behind us, sitting on cushioned chairs, but I didn't feel necessary to introduce myself yet while their daughter played an intense game.

I trailed off until I heard someone scream Brooklyn's name behind me. I'm guessing it was her mom. When I looked at the floor, Brooke was sprawled out on the ground as she had just got hit. The fans swarming the benches got silent, watching to see if she was okay as I rose from my seat.

Her parents and Noah rushed to the floor to check on her while Gael, Rick, and I stayed put. They didn't need all those people coming to her rescue, and with Noah being a trainer, he could handle it.

"What happened? I kind of blanked out for a second," I said, taking my eyes off the huddle around Brooklyn to look at Gael.

He shrugged, sipping the drink in his hands. "I don't know. She got distracted by some dude that just walked in. But she's getting up now." He pointed out as the group circled each other.

Thirty minutes later, the court cleared out when they announced halftime. I still had no clue what was going on, but I knew The Sharks, Brooklyn's team was in the lead.

I turned toward Gael and raised my eyebrow. "I'm going to go to the bathroom really quick, okay?" I mouthed, roaming my eyes around his face.

"Want me to come with you? Knowing you, you might get lost." He laughed.

I shook my head, remembering where to go. "No, I'll be fine. Don't worry."

I leaned over and placed a quick kiss on his lips before shooting off the bench and heading to the bathroom. It wasn't too bad of a trip despite pushing through large crowds of people. I love Brooke to death, but this isn't my scene. Yeah, people are die-hard fans, but I'm just here for support and can't wait for it to end.

When I pushed through the door, I picked a stall and released myself. When I stepped out to wash my hands, I noticed Brooklyn's mom also doing the same and checking out her reflection in the mirror. 

I've heard that her parents are intense, and I didn't want to speak at the moment, but I didn't want her to think I was rude. I swished the soap around my hands and rinsed them under the water, wondering what the hell I would even say.

"Hi. I'm Cassie," I turned to face her after drying my hands. "I remember you from the cruise," I said without thinking.

At first, she gave me a dry look, sizing me up before saying, "Oh, you smile?" Her lips creased, "If I remember correctly, you didn't seem very friendly on the cruise. I take it as if you're friends with my Lynn?" She had a surprised look on her face. She had on a jersey with number ten printed on the front, straight highlighted hair, and pants that stopped at her ankles. She reminded me of one of those rich women that dressed up to go to their kid's sports games. With fur coats and heels, but in this case, she had a Birkin bag with flashy jewelry.