64. "It's always Cassie"

It was late as hell when I got off work and finally made it back to my apartment

It was late as hell when I got off work and finally made it back to my apartment. Work was insane, and by that, I mean, crawling with people, and it never stopped until close. I had to wait later to leave because a group of women got drunk as fuck and had no way home. Hell. They put up a fight because we closed.

I've been trying my hardest to avoid Cassie, but it's been like four or five days since we said anything. I hated this silent, act like we don't see each other, shit, but I respect her wishes. There have been multiple times that I wanted to break it and knock on her door, but I can't. And fuck, it's been killing me. I've never been this way over a damn girl. Who the hell am I?

"I thought I was going to die, sitting here waiting for you!" Charlie caught me off guard as I pushed into my apartment. I stood in place, shaking my head as she got up off my couch.

I dropped my keys and kicked my shoes off. "Why are you waiting for me anyway?" I asked, tired as hell.

"You've been blowing me off, dude." She dropped her arms and laughed.

I ran my hands through my hair and yawned. "No, I haven't. Just haven't been in the mood for shit. My bad."

She anxiously crossed her arms to her chest. "Why?"

"We're not getting into this at three in the morning, Charlie," I said, brushing her off. I picked through the mail on my countertop, my eyes getting heavier by the second.

"Well," She looked around before flopping back on the sectional. "I'm not leaving."

Not seeing anything worth opening, I tightened my lips and said, "You know where the guest room is. Knock yourself out."

"You serious?" She dramatically sighed. "Here I am, checking on your stubborn, stupid ass, and you want to be a dick."

I faintly laughed through my nose. "Alright. What do you want to talk about?" I opened the refrigerator. "Want a beer?"

"Hell yeah," She squealed. "But first, you wanna tell me what's up with Cassie?"

"Leave it alone," I groaned. I'm tired of talking about Cassie because it makes me want to talk to her.

Charlotte gave me the finger. "You're so fucking annoying."

"I've heard that before," I chuckled. "What do you have to tell me?"

She adjusted her headband. "Now I feel bad because I feel like I'm bragging. But this is our thing, you know? You just been a dick and want to keep secrets. I'm going to get my girl Rachel on you."

After grabbing two beers, I handed one to her and peeled the tab back. "What is it? You in love again?" I asked after taking a sip. As you can tell, my friends have this weird-ass relationship with my mom, but I didn't mind. She's cool.

"How do you know?" Her eyes grew wide.

I gulped the cold beverage back. "You tell me like every week." She took a few sips and burped. "Who is it? Daisy?" I asked, remembering she tried to get me to set her up.